Anyone who KNOWS about Insurance Excess charges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I recently had to call out my Emergency household water supply insurance company, to sort out a leaking main water tank, that I discovered during the night.

Before the call-out was booked I had to pay an 'excess' charge of £50.00.This I did by C/C of course, believing that it would cover the first £50.00 of any replacement parts required, and fitting thereof, by the company.

I was given basic instruction over the phone, on what to do, to prevent a major flood. (Which I already knew, and had in fact done.)
Being unable to climb steps at the moment, I wasn't able to lock off the 'Ball-Cock' to prevent the tank filling again, which I would normally do. This would allow me to turn on the main supply again and give me cold water to my taps and shower. So I left the main turned off, and went back to bed.

The guy who came next morning told me the tank had split, and needed replacing (Duhhhh! really?) but all he could do was 'cap-off' the tank, (Close the ball-cock, I presume.) and restore cold water supply to my taps. I had to arrange further repairs with the company, and would be liable for a £50.00 excess if they did the work.

I got their quote, which was unacceptable, and decided to call in a plumber of my choosing. The repair has now been done of course, but not by the Insurance Company's work force. Now, they won't refund my £50.00 excess charge; saying it is to cover the call out.

In my understanding, an insurance excess charge is levied to cover the first £50.00 of any subsequent repairs and parts supply.
If this isn't so, when does an insurance excess become a call-out charge and 'vickie-verkie'? If the £50.00 is to cover any action the plumber has to take, to deal with the emergency, then I wasn't able to find anything in the small print that actually said so. And if it is so, why call the fee an 'excess' when in fact it's a call-out charge?

It seems my policy is redundant, simply because I already know how to turn off my water supply in an emergency, and how to safely restore water to my cold taps. I even know how to turn off the pavement stop-cock, if a pipe bursts.

I also know how to call out a plumber, and I expect a call-out charge, in addition to any repairs that plumber males and any parts that are supplied. In fact, had this occurred during the day, I might well have not bothered with a 'claim'.

I took out this policy in the belief I would get a reasonable quote, provided I paid their excess charge.

So, is there an Insurance expert out there who can explain this anomaly please?

TIA

:?
i

"I recently had to call out my Emergency household water supply insurance company"
I had one of those leaflets come through my letter box and put it in the bin

wizard":2cwt9pcn said:
"I recently had to call out my Emergency household water supply insurance company"

Maybe but not a very helpful reply.

benchw...it all comes down to their T's and C's i suspect.

wizard":3dzdw8qq said:

Yeah... Well being a Brum, maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the box. :?:
Don't we learn from mistakes though! 8)

RogerS":1r7pqm29 said:
wizard":1r7pqm29 said:

Maybe but not a very helpful reply.

benchw...it all comes down to their T's and C's i suspect.

Like I said though Roger, I can't find any definitive phrase.

It just says there will be a £50.00 excess on parts and fitting. Whether or not they would classify 'capping off' as supplying I don't know. But that was only done because I couldn't physically reach the ball-cock myself. :(

I can do it myself now, because my plumber fitted a small tap to interrupt the supply to the ball-valve. Just a screwdriver or a five-pence piece is all I need. And I can reach without steps! :D

Cheers...

You need to escalate it to someone senior.

Name and shame first (for our curiosity :) )then look uo the name and email address of the chief exec / MD and send a carefully worded email letter (proper letter format sent as attachment) with a copy to the company customer service dept.
It's amazing sometimes what results you can get even if you have to be persistant sometimes. Claims are initially handled by relatively junior staff with a "tick list".

Try this link http://www.ceoemail.com/

It's not worth the company spending money on admin costs of replying to your several communications and most will take the cheaper option of refunding your £50.

cheers
Bob

Latest posts

Back