Anyone wanna join the 100 club ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
This is where to be super mega accurate you hold the tape on 100 mm then mark the measurement - but then forget to add the extra 100mm back on :twisted:

Its happened to me a couple times. Luckily nothing too important - Does it happen to anyone else :D

:lol: glad im not the only one.
Would be good if someone did a tape measure with a spare blank bit at the beginning - but then we'd have no 100 club. Im at the stage now where I can laugh at the ' oh, im 100 mm out again !'

I'm in, in fact I very often measure from the hundred to get an accurate measure, then measure again from the clip to check the number in my head roughly matches the number on the tape, if its within 100 I cut if not rinse and repeat.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

We used to use the 1m method on site.
On one large contract the setting out Engineer forgot to allow for it when marking out a bridge pier - very expensive mistake as the bridge had to be demolished and rebuilt!

Rod

I have done this a few times. Measure twice, cut once.

Realise you measured it measured it incorrectly both times.

Could be worse - at least 100 over can often be put right. :oops:
100 under almost never can! #-o

I'm in - it's interesting that in striving to get the mm (or 0.1 mm) right, one can be out by 0.1 m.

I now measure TWICE. Once for accuracy, using the 100mm technique, and once for ballpark, using the tab-end of the tape.

The latter is very quick to do.

BugBear

Yep

Don't trust the tab on the end. Thought I was the only one :lol:

My Dad used to infuriate me. if he was working on a car he was meticulous and measured and cleaned to the 'nth degree but with woodwork he was rough. Was a miner and his motto was "near enough for pit work" :shock:

Bob

I had to do some work under a bedroom floor. After a little thought , I decided to renew the whole floor, as it had been ripped apart so many times before. I very carefully cut it up with a jigsaw, being very sure to put my hand under each piece to ensure there were no pipes or wires - up to the last, single two foot long piece. There can't possibly be anything there, I thought, as I sawed straight into a 28mm heating pipe. And, yes, the heating was on! I must have checked 49 pieces before not bothering to check the 50th.

It's such a common error that there used to be a specific name for it, something like "the dropped inch", from the imperial days when you'd often start the measurement at the one inch mark.

Latest posts

Back