Anyone wanna join the 100 club ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pu3uraqe.jpg

Here's my workmates old rabone rule that use to confuse the heck out of him- untill he realised it had gained 8mm over it's 600mm length :lol:

I've done it several times! I've always heard it called, "burning an inch"...and boy does it burn when you forget to account for it!

graduate_owner":fh2pnoah said:
Having read all these replies I don't now feel so bad when I think about all the mistakes I've made. I have often measured (twice) then cut, then found the length is wrong (always too short of course) and I just think - 'how the hell could I have done that?' But it happens, and so easily.

Regarding the 100 club - perhaps if people tried starting the measuring at 1000mm instead then they might realise their mistake before it's too late - 1000mm too long or short is a lot of error and might just trigger the 'hello, what's going on here then?' response before cutting.

K

I think tape measure manufacturers should look at this thread. Maybe leave 10mm blank at the start of the tape? Maybe make sure the clip at the end of the tape is accurate and well fitted? I recently tightened the rivets up on my favourite tape and it measures accurately from the tab now.....however I still don't trust it and often double check.

Yesterday i rejoined a terrible club that I had left for over 10+ years :twisted: I had 3 sashes to make. But when I came to fitting the top and bottom rails I realised I had 1 left hand stile and 5 right hand stiles. I usually square across a pair then arrange the others in pairs in between and draw across with a ruler. Luckily the two outside sashes were fixed ones...... :roll:

It makes me feel so much better to know that I am not the only one that has done this. :) I think I got this tip from watching Norm, but I'm pretty sure he didn't give a warning with it that you might ruin anything you touch. Only that wearing safety glasses was the way to go!

Back