Anyone used this hinge jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not make your own? Piece of MDF or plywood and a piece of 2 x 1 PSE as a fence. If you make your own all it costs you is time - the materials can come from the scrap pile. It also saves waiting for delivery. Typical carpenter's approach

Last edited:
I've used the 76mm version recently. Well made, accurate and can be used on any thickness of door. If the architrave and doorstops are already fitted you'll still need to recess the hinges in the lining by hand.

If you made your own and held it in place with panel pins you could overcome that. Alternatively, why not learn to use a marking gauge and a chisel? Faster and easier in any case if only a couple of doors are being dealt with

I packed up using jigs when hanging replacement doors, I find it quicker to just mark round the hinge with a knife & free hand to the line with a cordless trim router finally cleaning up with a chisel.
This also negates the problem of differing size hinges as a lot of my customers supply their own hardware & more often than not the hinges will be slightly different size for the jigs I have.

Why not make your own? Piece of MDF or plywood and a piece of 2 x 1 PSE as a fence. If you make your own all it costs you is time - the materials can come from the scrap pile. It also saves waiting for delivery. Typical carpenter's approach
Actually pretty much standard everywhere, especially if you've got 8 doors to make and cut in the same size hinges.

I used a flat board, with the hinge shape/size cut into the side of it, then glue and pin another piece of scrap mdf to the underside, so it sits at a right angle. Clamp to door, router out then square off. Because its open on one side you dont need to fit a bushing, just a short bearing guided cutter, which because its flush bearing to cutter no need to fiddle size wise to take account of the bushing offset. Lay the hinge directly on the board and draw around it, remove the middle with a jigsaw and chisel the edges exact.
Made from an offcut of ply, though usually mdf as theres always tons of scrap mdf, keep as a jig and make more for different sizes.
Time to make one is probably 10 mins.

Last edited:
I'm with Doug B on this, Jigs are good for masons mitres on worktops but hinge gains! The hinge is your jig with a decent sharp chisel and a "Stanley" knife to delineate the perimeter it only takes a couple of minutes to chop out the
recess for the hinge leaf, well maybe three or four if it lands on a knot!
Regards to all Paul

Purely a tradesman's perspective, Paul, but it's often a quantity game. If you are dealing with 5 or 10 or 20 doors in a run, if the hinges you are using are radius edged or if the wood you are recessing is knotty or excessively rowed, then a router and (home made) hinge jig makes a lot of sense. Singles, I agree, can be faster with a butt gauge and a sharp chisel, although a cordless trimmer used free hand can often speed that up and helps get a consistent depth of recess - sometimes a real problem when rehanging old doors on new hinges or hanging new doors in old openings. It would be nice to have the time, but nobody will pay for it any more

Fair comment Job and Knock,I would baulk at 20 doors unless on day work! My max to date was 11, albeit cheap softwood. When I get nice doors to hang the customer is happy to see me taking pains to get a shotgun stock fit and pay for my time. I do see the need for speed if on site work on a price and a means of swiftly getting an acceptable fit is entirely legitimate.
regards Paul

Back