Anyone use the woodrat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo,
I made up some big "T nuts" from ply which slide in the same place as the cam clamp. (they can slip behind the fences) With a length of studding you can the bolt stuff to the carriage (not too tight or you can't move it laterally!) My mortice rail and horizontal table fit this way.

CrazyL,
The WR900 has a few extra T slots.

If yours is an older machine, a more up to date manual may be of use. ChipsFly (RouterBoss people) used to sell the 'Rat in the US and had a copy of Woodrat V9 manual as a .pdf for download. Could email you a copy if you pm me your email address. There's also an independently written training manual in circulation as a .pdf, which is a useful source of additional ideas. If yours has nylon fences, get the latest Ali ones with facings. An allen key operated quick change chuck is also a boon for your Rat router.

I wouldn't want to argue the point with Tony; it would certainly have helped if Woodrat had used the Routerboss style linear bearings. I think the 'Boss uses routerguides that look like those of the Little Rat - presumably these don't need removing for dovtailing? However, if the 'Boss were onsale here today it would be priced around £800 for the WR900 equivalent. However good it was, I doubt that Woodrat as a very small UK company could stay in business at that price. And it's certainly true that the 'Rat designer appeared deaf to outside suggestions.

By the way, 'Boss HSS bits may be a better buy than Woorat's - much bigger market in US and bits US made, and easily posted.

I just got it in the post yesturday. Thankfully it is the Ali no nylon on this one. I'm interested in the independently written manual if you know where i can find it. I have the 9.1 manual, which doesn't have that much in it really. I will look into the Boss bits. I've looked that the woodrat ones and they seem to be a bit over priced in my opinion. Luckily I also got 6 bits with my set up. I think i did ok. £283 delivered, with the six bits which look to be worth £84 by themselves. So the woodrat was only £199!! pretty pleased.

I've got it mounted to the wall and just need to get the plunge bar, unfortunately the eliminator chuck is out of stock right now but when it comes in i'll get one.

I can see what people are saying about the fence changing for doing the dovetails, a bit time consuming in my opinion. I'll be looking at the boss base plate to see if it is any better.

Thanks for all your replies.

Harbo":2cqraq4a said:
I dusted off my Woodrat this morning to cut and shape a circle in oak for a friend. He wanted a base to wall mount a ships clock and provided the wood.
Now I know there's several ways to do this but my other router was fixed in its table and the Woodrat method seemed a good and reasonably safe way of doing it. To the uninitiated you rotate the timber around a central spike held by a scrap piece clamped to the Woodrat. The router does not move except towards the centre to cut to the desired diameter.
This is where the Rat fails there's too much slop in the system.
The plan was to use a straight cutter to cut gradually to the correct diameter and follow that with a nosing cutter to give the desired profile.
Things started well until I slackened my grip slightly then wham the timber shot out my grasp and tore chunks out! I was rotating it the correct Rat way!

woodratdamage.jpg

Cuts on fingers are from the wood not the router. I gave up on the idea of doing a repair and two new oak planks now glued up and waiting to dry. Things you do for friends?

Tomorrow my other router is being "freed" and a trammel will be used!

Rod

someone needs a lathe ;)

big soft moose - I stand corrected as well - it's a ML8!

Would love a bigger lathe - but a Super 7 version :)

Rod

Latest posts

Back