Anyone use Record Jet Clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Record Jet Clamp :?:

I bought a pair many years ago, didn't use them much but found them recently and did use them on a job.

I wanted to get some longer bars but when I phoned Record the sales girl couldn't find any reference to them :(

Anyone know when they go out of production :?:

Hi Losos

I have a Jet clamp, made by a company called TMT Design Ltd based in Leamington Spa, from the early 1970s. It incorporated two jaws that independently slid along a flat steel bar. It boasted a "Brinnell" locking action - whatever that was! It was part of the so-called "Jet clamp system" which involved various extension bars and special jaws. It was relatively expensive at the time and never really caught on, I think. Is it possible that this company was bought up by Record?

I don't think my type of clamp has been made for years but I saw a long one for sale in Penny Farthing Tools in Salisbury only a few weeks ago.

Regards.

Hi Evergreen,

Yes, that sounds exactly like the ones I've got, and from the dates you've given it would seem that Record must have gobled up TMT Design

Mine came with a choice of 'pads' to add to the arms and some funny right angle brackets which I've never used.

I'll have a look at Pennyfarthing Tools web site latter today

Hiya Losos

Over the years, I've collected quite a few instruction booklets and manuals for the tools that I own (yes, I don't get out much!) and I've managed to find the one for my Jet clamp. It contains the following:

"The BRINNELL LOCKING ACTION which is incorporated into each jaw allows the non-restrictive use of plain, standard section steel or aluminium bar for the Clamp Reaction Beam......Standard bar allows the low cost construction of an extensive range of work-holding jigs."

This suggests to me that any 32mm X 6mm steel bar would do if it's just longer length that you're looking for. I'm sure your clamps are the same as mine - there are right angle brackets shown in my leaflet, just like the ones you've described.

Regards.

Hi Evergreen,
OMG what a wally brain I am :oops: Why didn't I think of that :oops:

I'll be Googling for a suitable supplier immediately - shouldn't be too hard - even the model steam engine suppliers should hold this type of stock in smallish lengths.

I'm much obliged, hope i can return the favour one day.

Hi in case anyone sees this - I too have a set of (Record) Jet System Clamps by TMT Design - Really great clamps have been using them for years so has anyone any idea where you can get the little pads? Or springs for the arms? Or indeed ANY spares?

Back