Anyone use air filtration ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some pics of the filter after running it for the first day.(kept forgetting to bring the camera home)
As mentioned previously i blew down the workshop before leaving that night and left the filter running.
Here is the result
work191.jpg

I have cleaned the blue area to show the difference. What a difference !!
work189.jpg

As far as my health is concerned it is money well spent.
The workshop even feels and looks cleaner.
I highly recomend this filter.
Cheers,
Gary.

PowerTool":1irmge68 said:
I've got this small one from Axminster,but the workshop is only small.
Reasonably quiet - can't hear it when the lathe is on.
First time you clean the filter after the first time you use it,you will wonder why you never got one sooner..

Andrew

...and I have the same one:

esrtyertyhrtyertyhrt.jpg

It's a single speed unit, nothing fancy, dead easy to clean filters. I run it off an electronic timer twice in the day and then it starts up at about 9.00pm to run for about 4 hours at the end of the day. Shown in the pic in the top left corner - Rob

whoops!":1kqbhukx said:
I know that MDF goes down to .5 of a micron, but what about oak/ pine/ etc, and the size of the dust that is generated by sanders, tablesaws,router...etc, is it really necessary to go down to .5 micron if you aren't using the dreaded MDF?

Decklan
I thought that .5 of a micron should be about right for MDF. After reading up on this here and elsewhere it seems that this should be .2 of micron. Now unsure what we should be looking at particularly for the home workshop - although if that is the industrial rec. then why should home user have any less?

Cheers :D
Tony

Hi Gary,

I have the Jet/Axminster AFS2000 and in the manual it recommends that you put it close to a wall (about an 1" away just under your rafters) so that it causes a circular motion around the workshop.

As you have already found out they are well worth the money.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

I did plan on buying the filter as soon as the workshop has been build (the scullery and living room are now my 'shop'). But I was annoyed with the layer of fine dust and took the pluge and ordered one.

I received the AFS-500 yesterday and gave it a trail run free standing on the floor. I must say I'm very impressed with the unit. I expected the noise to be a bit louder and the air flow a bit lower.

I opted for the AFS-500 because the shop will not be that large and I will not miss the extra's like the remote control and timer. The home automation system will also be fitted in the shop which also gives ,me remote control and some more time control.

tnimble":2uiuauji said:
I opted for the AFS-500 because the shop will not be that large and I will not miss the extra's like the remote control and timer.

Is that the Jet AFS-500 that you are referring to? if so, then it should come with a remote and has a timer too (usable via a button on the remote).

Or, at least it did when I bought mine a few years back. I haven't checked recent models though, so maybe the spec has changed.

same here pooka, mines a couple of years old now, but has the remote and timer (onboard and via the remote)

either the spec has changed, or Tnimble wants to check the box befrore chucking it out....

Modal differences between various countries. Only the AFS1000B has the timer and remote control.

But strange since also per WMH Tool Group

tnimble":3om494zq said:
Modal differences between various countries. Only the AFS1000B has the timer and remote control.

But strange since also per WMH Tool Group

Ah, that's a shame. I see that the model sold by Axminster still has these features so they are still standard here I presume:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21189&name=afs500&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

I'll never understand why manufacturers remove certain features for certain countries/markets - in this case in particular those are two very useful features.

pooka":mnhdavgc said:
Ah, that's a shame. I see that the model sold by Axminster still has these features so they are still standard here I presume:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21189&name=afs500&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

I'll never understand why manufacturers remove certain features for certain countries/markets - in this case in particular those are two very useful features.

Indeed it is. Although in this case is seems that Axminster/Jet UK adds this feature or imports the USA model or somehting. The English, German, Dutch etc catalogs all state only the 100B has the remote and timer. As do all the shops (except the Axminster (and other UK stores?)) sell the 500 without.

Back