Anyone use a pop up spray tent ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few jobs to do in the coming weeks that need to be sprayed. We're talking machinery parts more than wood but either way I don't have room to paint indoors.
For the sake of controlling overspray but also to keep bugs and airborn seeds off the painted work I'm interested to try one of these nylon spray tents with a mesh door that can be zipped up while the paint dries.

Big is better for this so that I have room to spray and dry several parts at a time but I don't want to spend hundreds on one of these inflatable things capable of taking a car.

Does anyone have experience of this kind of thing that can be bought for £40 - £80 ?
Especially Vevor vs Wagner vs ? brands in the larger 9' to 10'wide, 6' to 7' deep size

W_LG-Tent_walkaround.jpg

And any sellers other than the big river online shop who's manufacturer and customer review photos I've borrowed ?
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• C12qTpI5BLS._SL1600_.jpg
    C12qTpI5BLS._SL1600_.jpg
    233.8 KB
Would a cheapish gazebo do a similar job? You could line the sides with polythene dust sheet and dispose of it once finished so the main structure remains clean.

Maybe an old clothes rail could be used to hang the items to be painted as you would not be able to suspend stuff from the gazebo roof.

Buy and Queue seem to have a 10 foot square one for about £88.

Seems like the sort of thing that could be quickly knocked up with some old cardboard boxes and or some plastic dust sheet and a bit of masking tape.

For a different aproach, some 32 mm weldable plastic pipe can be made into a frame very quickly and the same plastic dust sheet taped over it, use a couple of overlapping bits for the door that can be flapped over when you have finishe spraying.

Or maybe just get a normal dome tent from gumtree /facebook market place / the loft or garage etc and use that.

Ollie

Those alternatives are exactly what I've been mulling over guys. I guess I'm attracted to the convenience of the pop up. I'm used to tents so it should only need a few minutes to set up and take down.
I would like and certainly I could put a decent gazebo to good use working outdoors. I'd be tempted to get a decent one and after spending better money on it, I think it might end up being a bit slow attaching all the plastic to protect it.

Peter, yes please. If that Wagner shelter is their 9' x 6' x 5'6" model like the image in my first post, please let me know your price. That could work nicely for us both.

As with all these things YouTube is your friend - a quick search for diy spray booth.

Seems like the sort of thing that could be quickly knocked up with some old cardboard boxes

Please could you do a rough calculation of the weight of cornflakes you would need to eat to obtain the cardboard necessary to make something 9 feet x 6 feet x high enough for someone other than Dopey to work in.

Wait till one of the music festivals finishes there will be loads pop up tents going free or try charity that collects them
Paul

Maybe an old clothes rail could be used to hang the items to be painted as you would not be able to suspend stuff from the gazebo roof.

I've done this for both indoor and outdoor. It works well. You usually want to hold the item (on hooks) as you spray it but having a place to hang them to dry is great.

Thicker tig welding wire is great for making into hanging hooks.

I hope the thread will continue for a while but as a progress report, I'm taking @Peter Sefton up on his offer above (thank you !) and look forward to trying out that model of popup for small - medium work.

I think there's still a lot of potential in adapting a gazebo for bigger projects so I'll be keeping my eyes open for one in future.

I appreciate the links to videos above and I'd like to add this one that popped up while I was looking through them and has given me some particular inspiration

What looks like the biggest limitation of the pop up tent is the lowish 5'6" headroom and likelihood that I'd end up working on my knees. The screenshot shows a pop up tent being used as a canopy sitting on a simple frame made across a pair of trestles. This raises everything well off the ground. I have a pair of toughbuilt trestles that are ideal for supporting crossbeams and I think the combination may work well together. Hopefully it will adapt whether the pop up has a built in groundsheet or not.

Screenshot_20240611_131020_Chrome.jpg

Please could you do a rough calculation of the weight of cornflakes you would need to eat to obtain the cardboard necessary to make something 9 feet x 6 feet x high enough for someone other than Dopey to work in.
Ha ha, many tons of cornflakes I would imagine. I forget that most people don`t have giant cardboard lying around. I have a mate who does kitchens and always has loads of massive sheets of it.

You could build something with corex floor protection sheets which are pretty cheap, 8 x 4 size and a simple frame.

You could build something with corex floor protection sheets which are pretty cheap, 8 x 4 size and a simple frame.
Nice idea. For regular use corex sheets paired with a gazebo might be nice. Durable, won't suffer from damp in storage and shouldn't flap about as plastic sheet will be prone to.
There's a mk2 design for someone :)

Thanks !
Rattle cans : zinc primer and lacquer.
HVLP : Tractol enamel, maybe Paragon enamel which I imagine is much the same, and I need a sprayable finish for MDF that is durable and can be thinned down enough to go through a 1.2mm jet.
Universal thinners kills latex gloves and nitrile gloves only last about 20-30 minutes of heavy exposure , so it's a good warning.

I have one, used it once and then opted for a lawn gazebo.

Why?

While it might hold a man door, you cannot rotate it, and moreover, you cannot get it out easily if the finish is even slightly soft.

So on a man door, it's likely five/six or more sprays to finish both sides and edges. Hardly efficient.

AND you couldn't even fit a drying rack in the dang thing.

Maybe fine for cabinet doors, which IF small enuf could be mounted on a turntable, but again no space for drying rack, so still many "wait to dry cycles."

Maybe somewhat less frustrating, but still functionally inefficient.

Watched a fella set up one at the makerspace, and even with my help took 20 minutes to set up. I teased him about how easy it was to tuck back in the storage bag (because it's not easy), and sure enuf.he had problems.

SO, I just bought a lawn gazebo for outside finishing. .Put down tarps on the grass

Two workmates- one with a rotary table, the other holding a drying rack similar to the one on the right. The one n the left is a floor odel, with levelling feet
1718420997622.jpeg

Spray, rotate, lift onto rack 3 minutes later, yer spraying the next.

You do have to pay attention to wind direction...drying rack on the windward side to avoid overspray settling on it

But forget about the "tents unless you got a lot of time to waste, and can deal with the frustration.

Eric in the colonies

Back