Anyone tried these 3-bladed hi-speed carving bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike160304

Established Member
Reaction score
They are said to be for dremel-type tools or power drills. This site just sells a set of 3 from 3-5 mm, but I gather that there are individual bits up to 10 mm, but I have not yet found a supplier.

Hence my question.

Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
I haven't used one but they, being only three sided, potentially are going to be hard to control especially with the straight grind. I have used coarse rotary files/burrs that cut fast but because of the spiral edges are easier to control. I found some little ones like you want on eBay if you want to play with them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Shank-Wo ... SwIABcHbVJ

The middle one of these three is closer to what I and familiar with.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-pcs-Tungst ... b59b8e08b1

Pete

Inspector - Pete -
Thanks, my impression is similar to yours, they say that 2-bladed router bits, also, are difficult to control in a "dremel", I bought a mini-set but have not tried them yet.
I too have a spiral burr, and with a little practice, this might be the best type for me too - see pic.
Some people apparently do extensive shaping with a "dremel" with a sanding drum, OK if you can catch the dust!!!

Attachments

• S1001573-c.jpg
    S1001573-c.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Mike, you can buy direct from PermaGrit on line. I did anyway. I don't know for sure but I don't think they have any dealers, but if you wish you can check with them direct. I found them to be very helpful people.

Once again, I stress I have not personally used their rotary tools, I'm just assuming that they'll be good based my own experience with their "flat" (file-type) tools, some of which are at least 30 years old and have been used extensively and still show no signs of wearing out.

Apart from the rotary burrs such as you show, I normally use small sanding drums but I'm thinking of buying a small set of those PermaGrit rotaries.

Usual disclaimers.

HTH (hope that helps)!

AES - thanks, I'll look at PermaGrit.

Re small sanding drums, does the sandpaper stay in place, or move about on the roller? Do you apply anything to stop it moving about?

AES - Hey, PermaGrit is really interesting. I had not come across them when googling for such things before.
Thanks.

I've got a couple of cheapo sanding drums where the sanding sleeve does indeed move up or down along the sleeve. But most of mine don't, especially those where the mandrel has a screw hole and a washer on the top - you just loosen the screw to get the old sleeve off and tighten the screw again when the new sleeve is on.

For the above "slippy" drums I just wind a little bit of tape around before fitting the drum, for the rest, I just tighten the screw until the sleeve doesn't slip any more.

But be aware that there are, of course, limits - if you've tightened the screw to a reasonable level and the sleeve still slips it's probably because you're pressing too hard. That will probably burn the job anyway, so it's no bad thing when it starts to slip - it's telling you to ease off the pressure.

Mike160304":1jiqqqaf said:
AES - Hey, PermaGrit is really interesting. I had not come across them when googling for such things before.
Thanks.

OK, if you do buy let us know how you get on with them please. As said, I'm thinking of buying some of their rotaries myself. Not exactly cheap but at the rate I sometimes use sanding drums they could pay for themselves fairly quickly.

AES":24kyl05k said:
I've got a couple of cheapo sanding drums where the sanding sleeve does indeed move up or down along the sleeve. But most of mine don't, especially those where the mandrel has a screw hole and a washer on the top - you just loosen the screw to get the old sleeve off and tighten the screw again when the new sleeve is on.

For the above "slippy" drums I just wind a little bit of tape around before fitting the drum, for the rest, I just tighten the screw until the sleeve doesn't slip any more.

But be aware that there are, of course, limits - if you've tightened the screw to a reasonable level and the sleeve still slips it's probably because you're pressing too hard. That will probably burn the job anyway, so it's no bad thing when it starts to slip - it's telling you to ease off the pressure.

Thanks, yes, I thought of a bit of tape to tighten it up, and/or add a bit of colloidal silica powder, which feels "grippy"

As noted above, can't find any on PermaGrit site?

I use AliExpress/Ebay UK depending on what I can find and how long I am willing to wait.

Mike160304":1s6qsdgc said:
As noted above, can't find any on PermaGrit site?

I use AliExpress/Ebay UK depending on what I can find and how long I am willing to wait.

Sorry if I'm dense, but I've lost you. What can't you find on the PermaGrit site? The rotaries page of their catalogue which I posted above somewhere is from their web site. As said before, I have no axe to grind in favour of/against PermaGrit, but if you have Qs why not just give them a ring? They know more about what/how they sell than I do!

Re Carbide being hard. That's true. Carbide is often added to other metal cutters (as sharp tips) because it's harder/longer lasting. I have some very small tungsten carbide dental burrs which I don't think I'll will ever be able wear out.

@Mike160304:

Sorry if my last post above is unclear. I've just checked back and it seems that I've got confused (easily done at my age!!) and I did NOT post the PermaGrit rotaries catalogue page in this thread. It must have been in a different but similar thread, sorry.

Here's the catalogue page:

Permagrit Rotaries-C.jpg

Tel: (UK) 01529 455034

My apologies

Attachments

• Permagrit Rotaries-C.jpg
    Permagrit Rotaries-C.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 45
AES - Very sorry if I confused you and caused you further research work. I am always ready to phone, and even pester (!) sellers if I need more information, but in this case:

I did find the pages "Rotaries" -> "Small" or "Large", so I found the page that you have now indicated. But the products are all "abrasive stones", there are no "steel or carbide BLADED cutters in their portfolio.

My original post and my only question was about the "3-bladed cutters" of which I attached a photo.

Many thanks for your comments and I am sorry that mine were misunderstood.

Back