Anyone import Delta Unisaw into the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhough

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone who can import a Delta Unisaw's into the UK? I was supposed to be taking delivery of an 807 but there has been a rather lengthy delay. If I could get a Unisaw into the UK then I may be tempted to switch.

Cheers

Nolan

Dan no longer imports Delta stuff-I had his last Planer, as members who came to the "Big Bash" will remember :twisted:
Sorry,
Philly :D

If you're thinking about importing a Unisaw why not take a look at the Sawstop or Powermatic PM2000, at least both of them have riving knives (and the Sawstop even has a brake - looks like the American makers are finally learning)? At a quoted £2,000+ I don't regard the Unisaw as a bargain..... Or is it just that you want to use a nasty unsafe stacked-saw dado set and are happy to use a poorly designed fence (aka the Biesmeyer) :wink:

To be honest one of the problems about importing these American saws (from a dealers point of view) is that they do not meet EU CE regs and it's difficult/expensive to get them to do so. Probably why there have been a number of here today, gone tomorrow operations in recent years - they possibly only last until the Customs & Excise/HSE/Trading Standards (delete as required) catch up with them......

Scrit

At £2000 you are close to a Hammer table saw price. That machine can also be spec'ed to take a cutter for doing housing/dado's and meets EU Regs. The cutter is similar to a spindle adjustable groover as opposed to the twin blade and chipper dado set.

I think I read somewhere that the new 12" SIP cast iron t/s has a 30mm arbour which is the same as the Woodford Xcaliber range if you are after the dado option. Worth a phone call to Woodford.
Good luck
John

Thanks for all the assistance on this one.
Here's an update: NeilC put me in touch with an exporter in the US who are prepared to export Delta Unisaws and they have a cracking deal on at the moment:

They are offering a Delta Unisaw, Delta Base & Delta Tenoning Attachment all for $1529.00 USD plus delivery. (Clay Taylor is the man to call if anyone is interested.) http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES. ... UM=961-409

This sounds great however I have a resounding BUT to offer!
I also read a review of the machine here... http://www.sawstop.com/media/W184JOp46-p51.pdf This made very interesting reading indeed. It seems that the Unisaw didn't fare too well in this particular review. Also, as our mains operate on 50Hz and the machine is designed for 60Hz in the States, the importer said that the warranty from Delta may be null and void. (If anyone wants to go down this route then I would check into this) I realise that there are many happy Unisaw owners in the UK and that the AC frequency issues shouldn't be a problem, but the lack of warranty is still a concern.

Woodworker's Supply Inc also sell the Powermatic PM2000. This is the latest saw from them and looks like a great piece of kit. See the following link and watch the videos... http://www.powermatic.com/magazine_ads/ ... N=60602155 Not bad for a machine a little over $2300USD with the wheel base included. If you read the review for the delta (above) you'll notice that the PM2000 came out the overall winner.

I know that we shouldn't place too much emphasis on one man's review in a magazine. I am in marketing and know all too well that there is a very definite connection between editorial and advertising revenues. This shouldn't happen but strangely enough advertisers in a magazine always seem to get great revies of their product! Also if a magazine want you to advertise in their publication they can also swing a great review to encourage you. That being said though, if you look at the facts, and you trust the reviewer to have stated them honestly, then the PM 2000 is a winner.

The conclusion?
As I am cautious (especially when it comes to spening around £2K on a table saw) I have decided to stick with my initial decision and go for the 807. Woodford have been great so far, I hope they'll stand by their warranty agreement should I have any issues. The saw looks perfect for my needs & budget. Also, the great Philly and Waka reckon their saws are superb so I'm going to trust these two fine woodworkers.

I'll post my thoughts on the saw when I get it in January sometime.
Cheers

Nolan

Sawdust Producer":38k57baw said:
BTW what is the reason for the delay on the 807?

The delay on the 807 has apparently been a supply problem from Taiwan. Woodford have 15 coming in on the 27th December. So far a couple have been allocated but I think the rest will go fast. I placed my order mid October so I've been waiting quite a while. Woodford are offering all their patient customers who have waited ages a free arbour extension and dado set (sorry Scrit :wink: ) as compensation.

Cheers
Nolan

nhough":xstscp3z said:
Also, as our mains operate on 50Hz and the machine is designed for 60Hz in the States, the importer said that the warranty from Delta may be null and void.
If you are that interested Delta certainly used to offer the Unisaw with a 50Hz motor for some export markets whilst the Powermatic PM66 is listed as having a 50Hz option available (can't say about the PM2000, though) - to find out the stock code you'd need to get hold of the printed catalogue as it doesn't seem to be listed on line. That being the case there is no reason to run under frequency, however, the machines are not CE marked and there is always a chance that the Customs & Excise may object, even if you are importing for personal use. If you insist on using one of those stupid stacked dado heads then the SawStop makes better sense - it has a brake, comes with a riving knife and has better dust extraction than either the Delta or Powermatic offerings. Problem is that safety costs........

As for Woodford offering a longer arbor - if it accommodates a cutter wider than 15.5mm it is outside of the BS standards, and so may actually be illegal. That's their lookout if they get caught.

Scrit

Nolan,
I have the American contractor saw (804) from Woodford and I
am very pleased with the quality of build and precision out of the box.

Just a few pics when new last year just to show the build quality and as I haven't posted pics for ages so here goes just to brighten the forum up a bit and wet appetites :?

Oh! and this is one end of den what no one has seen before on here with a floating floor and decking boards for a door. :wink:

finished.jpg

£25 all the way from the States £10 postage no duty 8)

1.jpg

Trunnion

IMG_Trunion.jpg

Hi Nolan

Firstly the Unisaw I have has had the motor swapped out at Delta for a 60hz so this isn't an issue, Scrit has a downer on anything that doesn't conform to his ideals I'm afraid...

The Unisaw is a lovely bit of kit and the Biesmeyer fence is a joy to use very accurate and holds square very well, in the time I've had the saw I have only had to re square it once and that was a tiny amount so please don't be put off by him... :oops:

Also a dado set is a useful addition to a tablesaw if used correctly... as Philly will testify...

I realise you are now set on an 807 which will I know will be a great saw also, hope it arrives when they say...fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the comments.

Table saws really seem to be a hotly debated topic. There are so many options available and each saw has pros and cons. I just want a machine that will accept my newly aquired osbourne EB3 mitre gauge, my mortising attachment (that I know my wife is getting me for Christmas :wink: ), and my 12" fine cross cut blade. I also don't want the machine to take up a heap of room. I'm not looking for an all singing all dancing machine, but rather one that is extremely accurate, quiet and that will last for years to come. If anyone knows of 12" machine better than the 807 for around £2000 inc VAT that has the US mitre track and a relatively small footprint* then I am all ears.
Cheers

Nolan
* The 807 has long rails but the machine itself is fairly compact (compared to a Hammer or sliding table saw)

Have you investigated the SIP 10" and 12" cast iron tablesaws. Much, much cheaper and some very good reviews. As I said I believe the 12" will take the arbor extension and dado set. Just a thought.
regards
John

Hi John, I really am keen on a 12" machine - could you point me in the direction of any online reviews on the 12" SIP?

Cheers

Nolan

nhough":taid8yxj said:
Hi John, I really am keen on a 12" machine - could you point me in the direction of any online reviews on the 12" SIP?

Cheers

Nolan

The Woodworker magazine just reviewed it in the Nov issue. Can't find it on line yet as the saw is new. The review was very positive. 1 of the forum users (Mike C from Scotland) has just set his up and is about to write a review on this forum. The 10" has lots of satisfied forum users. Do a quick search for reviews on this site.
Best of luck
John

nhough":2t5a9qyi said:
Sawdust Producer":2t5a9qyi said:
BTW what is the reason for the delay on the 807?

The delay on the 807 has apparently been a supply problem from Taiwan. Woodford have 15 coming in on the 27th December. So far a couple have been allocated but I think the rest will go fast. I placed my order mid October so I've been waiting quite a while. Woodford are offering all their patient customers who have waited ages a free arbour extension and dado set (sorry Scrit :wink: ) as compensation.

Cheers
Nolan

I have been chasing my 806 saw that has been on order for ages and it is also expected in the same shipment as the 807s
I did have to prompt them to offer the freebies however.
If anyone else has had a saw on back order from Woodford and not been offered the freebies then don't forget to ask for them.

Good Luck

Bob

Sawdust Producer":2jlu9gvl said:
£25 all the way from the States £10 postage no duty 8)

1.jpg

Hi There

Where did you get the tennoning jig from for that great price, I have been thinking of getting one for a while now?

Back