Anyone here a woocommerce vat expert (or at least someone who knows more than me!)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant work out some vat charging stuff.

I need to charge VAT depending on territory, but only up until a certain basket threshold, at which point i need to zero vat the whole basket.

Vat by territory, whilst tedious, can be entered manually (although there are geolocation plug ins etc) but its the zero rating the whole basket above a threshold that is the real issue.

Im hoping someone here may have had to deal with the same issue and be able to tell me their solution?

Thank you.

You using IOSS, which country did you register in? Or is that only to the value of €150 or less?
I did a quick online course with TSS ages ago on these things but may have ignored the ecommerce part as I don't do that.

You using IOSS, which country did you register in? Or is that only to the value of €150 or less?
I did a quick online course with TSS ages ago on these things but may have ignored the ecommerce part as I don't do that.

Yes, I have the IOSS number now, processed by a sweedish company, but the scheme only covers to 150e baskets.

In truth I've not even been able to confirm if I CAN put though larger baskets on the IOSS - as in if it's optional or a compulsory limit.

I guess the processor would be able to tell me but communicating with them is not as slick as it could be.

So, I think what is required is some PHP code that runs though the basket and zero rates all product when the total order (ex vat) is under 150euros (on who's exchange rate, I don't know either!)

It's frustrating as the IOSS stuff took long enough for a 1manband (me) to work out, and now there's another hurdle.

I think if the consignment, as opposed to individual value of goods, exceeds the threshold then you cannot use IOSS. So it's a compulsory limit.
Therefore goods should be despatched VAT free (as opposed to being zero rated) and the importer will have to account for their country's VAT. No more "intra community" declarations unfortunately.....

If you're getting poor service from Sweden can you change your registration? Go to Ireland or Holland where I think most in your position have done although I suppose you've paid your year's registration.
Far as I recall prevailing exchange rates are from the ECB much the same as HMRC use their monthly exchange rates.

I run a web company - and we are quite used to modifying code like this - but I am not aware of a simple way of doing this, though you can manage with bespoke code... as I understand it with WooCommerce, they ave updates coming, or 3rd party plugins - not sure how good they are, this is where we have tended to find that woocommerce sits well behind the market leaders such as Shopify...

I run a web company - and we are quite used to modifying code like this - but I am not aware of a simple way of doing this, though you can manage with bespoke code... as I understand it with WooCommerce, they ave updates coming, or 3rd party plugins - not sure how good they are, this is where we have tended to find that woocommerce sits well behind the market leaders such as Shopify...

Shopify has a plug in for my IOSS processor, but I really don't want to migrate an entirely (in other respects) functional site to another platform, at further expense (WooCommerce being free and Spotify being subscription based) when, I suspect, a couple of clever lines of PHP will resolve the issue.

But, of course, as with most of this brexit stuff, you know it's possible, so long as you just have the correct bit of, in this case, digital paper.

Which I don't have.

I think it would be custom code - If you are stuck with no answer, do feel free to give me a call if we can help…

Back