Anyone heard of ZAF products?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's picking collective brains time again!

Anyone out there ever heard of ZAF products? Specifically something called 'The Variant Adapter? It's described as an 'Indexed off-centre turning adapter'. Looks to be fairly old and a quick 'google' didn't turn anything up. I'm relatively new to turning and the name means nothing to me, but I am interested in having ago at off-centre stuff if this is a cheap starting point.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hi Neil.

The cheapest method is to just use what you have.You can hold a square blank with the corners between the jaws, and tip it to and fro as you turn a bit here and there.

Another is a MDF faceplate with all sorts of chucking positions on the back, and the work fixed to the front. Can be done on a screw chuck.

Or mark the diagonals on a square blank, then measure of centre on each diagonal a set amount. Mark the blank both ends then turn between centres, on the off centre marks.

Quite a lot to be going on with before you even need to consider buying a eccentric chuck.

Hi Tam,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks for the ideas regarding off-centre stuff. It's on my 'to do' list, although well down at the moment. The ZAF 'adaptor' is part of a bundle of other stuff that I'm looking at and I just wondered if it might be useful. Chances are I'll not end up with it and will give some of your suggestions a try.

Thanks,

Neil.

Back