Anyone have a Kreg pocket hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damnit, too late! Poolewood had loads on their site yesterday. All Gone :(

Isaac Lord do a trend version with a square drive, pricey but does the job. Paid around 6.25 for 500 a few months ago.

Jock

Don't think those from Screwfix will work Andy. They are countersunk and you need a flat bit under the head to pull the pieces together. The countersink is likely to split the wood.

As you say a fantastic bit of kit. I get my screws from Axminster, you need different types for hardwood & softwood.

regards

Brian

I only have 4 differant ones
hand carry piece of plastic 1 hole
table mount aluminum 2 hole with pusher to hold stock
table mount adjustable 2 hole with pusher for different sizes of stock
table mount phenumatic 2 hole with foot control

Very nice bit of work on all of them.
and I get as many as I want next day mail.

Grinding One said:
I only have 4 differant ones
hand carry piece of plastic 1 hole
table mount aluminum 2 hole with pusher to hold stock
table mount adjustable 2 hole with pusher for different sizes of stock
table mount phenumatic 2 hole with foot control

Very nice bit of work on all of them.
and I get as many as I want next day mail.Screws that is....Right from Kreg Co,

I also get mine from the local Brimarc stockist, up to now they have had a couple of boxes on the counter.
I dont think they keep much stock though, so either I have been lucky or they sell slow and as the boxes are purchased they just keep re-ordering.

I bought mine ages ago from the States and a relation used to post them to me when I needed a re-supply of screws together with the yellow woodworkers glue.

brianhabby":2b5get2s said:
Don't think those from Screwfix will work Andy. They are countersunk and you need a flat bit under the head to pull the pieces together. The countersink is likely to split the wood.

I think you're right about standard countersunk screws, but I'd heard from a few folks that cheap black drywall screws (the long threaded ones where the head curves out) work just fine.

I've used the Kreg Pockethole Jig (the little single model) when I didn't have time for a biscuit to dry (i.e. when the Wife demands immediate results).

Below, for example, was a rather urgent request for, A) me to hang an old '20s mirror I had at the foot of the bed, and, B) me to put up a medicine cabinet... two birds with one Kreg jig.

quick_cabinet.jpg

An offcut of oak floorboard, a couple of brass hinges, a magnet, the mirror and 8 screws later, I'm back in good graces.

-Jim

Is it me or what?

Don't get me wrong, I think PH joinery is great for vernacular applications, I'm building a junk cupboard that way right now as we type.

But.

The trouble with all these jigs, including the Kreg (which I admit is the best of the rather inadequate bunch) is that the screw goes in at an angle and as a result the two components are pulled across one another resulting in a joint which is not flush. The only way around tis, AFAIK, is to clamp the two pieces together hard before screwing. That's fine if you have clamps to do the job, but I'm building a 2.7m base unit. I don't have 8ft cramps at my disposal, I want the screws to do the job for me.

I much prefer to rout mortises for the screws and drill the holes separately, both operation with simple jigs made from scrap. I use my mortising jig for frame work and a clampable board jig for sheet work. The result is a PH joint where the screw goes in 90 degrees to the work, and the two components stay aligned.

It's not quite as quick as the Kreg but it's not exactly time consuming either and a MUCH better result.

Why spend £100 on a TOTR Kreg when you can get better results with a jig that costs approximately nothing?

The Kreg screws are worth every penny though.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":3gp6itw4 said:
Is it me or what?

Do't get e wrong, I think PH joinery is great for vernacular applications, I'm building ajuk cupboard tahat way right ow as we type.

But.

The trouble with all these jigs, including the Kreg (which I admit is the best of the rather inadequate bunch) is that the screw goes in at an angle and as a result the two components are pulled across one another resulting in a joint which is not flush. The only way around tis, AFAIK, is the clamp the two pieces together hard before screwing. That's fine if you have clamps to do the job, but I'm building a 2.7m base unit. I don't have 8ft cramps at my disposal, I want the screws to do the job for me.

I much prefer to rout mortises for the screws and drill the holes separately, both operation with simple jigs made from scrap. I use my mortisig jig for frame work and a clampable board jig for sheet work. The result is a PH joint where the screw goes in 90 degrees to the work, and the two components stay aligned.

It's not quite as quick as the Kreg but it's not exactly time consuming either and a MUCH better result.

Why spend £100 on a TOTR Kreg when you can get better results with a jig that costs approximately nothing?

The Kreg screws are worth every penny though.

Cheers
Steve

I use a clamp (like a vise clamp) and you can install it anywhere except corners...in corners I use a corner clamp by Bessey its for 90* clamping.These clamps keep u flush while installing the screws....very fast an easy.

Steve I think you answered your own question didn't you? Speed. Surely that's the reason anyone buys a jig?

Grinding One":36t0j40d said:
Oryxdesign":36t0j40d said:
You've got a Domino Steve, just put a couple in near the screws for perfect alignment.
Is this the guy on You Tube with the wiggle thing ofamajig,that Steve??

I can assure you that my ofamajig only wiggles when it is absolutely supposed to! But yes I am the Steve in question.

Oryx
Yes you are quite right, but I was trying to be helpful to less privileged mortals :)

Tom
I think that there are many reasons for buying a jig - speed is one, certainly, but accuracy, consistency, reproducibility, safety - there are lots of other reasons too. I would not use a jig that gave me worse results than not using it, no matter how quick it was, would you?

I've just realized that my keyboard is on the blink again, I'll tidy it up. I swear I'm going to trash this heap of junk.
S

Latest posts

Back