Anyone have a Kreg pocket hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":g0ynxebg said:
Grinding One":g0ynxebg said:
Oryxdesign":g0ynxebg said:
You've got a Domino Steve, just put a couple in near the screws for perfect alignment.
Is this the guy on You Tube with the wiggle thing ofamajig,that Steve??

I can assure you that my ofamajig only wiggles when it is absolutely supposed to! But yes I am the Steve in question.

Oryx
Yes you are quite right, but I was trying to be helpful to less privileged mortals :)

I've just realized that my keyboard is on the blink again, I'll tidy it up. I swear I'm going to trash this heap of junk.
S

Hey Steve Luv your shirt on the Video....
Got some good thoiughts on the domino too from you..Thanks,I just bought the domiono 2 weeks ago...nice machine,now I have to figure out millimeters

Good points Steve. I shouldn't really be commenting coz I haven't used a PHJ. I have seen your method and agree, in principle, that it is better.

WiZeR":35o07g71 said:
I have seen your method and agree, in principle, that it is better.

In practice, Wizer , in practice :)

It's not as quick, I admit, but definitely better. Thank you for the endorsement.

G1
I have a coffee mug to match my shirt. Sartorial, isn't it?
S

I understand exactly what you are saying Steve and I agree that your way is ultimately better from the screw angle point of view. However with practice you get used to the amount the joint moves and counter it with initial alignment, I find a trainee can get the hang of this in a day or so. The whole idea for me of PH joinery is speed if you are looking for more strength you need to use another method or perhaps add biscuits, dowels or Dominos. PH are maybe not the ultimate but they do have their place.
Not trying to hurt your feelings Steve I respect what you do, but I wouldn't want anybody to be put off trying PH Joinery. Horses for courses
By the way a few tips for alignment:
Make sure the pocket hole is deep enough, if it hasn't gone nearly through it can cause the thread to lift the pieces apart before initial grip.
Try fitting together dry and adding glue after the hole has been screwed, I hardly ever do this but it does help in awkward places.
Use a pocket hole clamp as suggested earlier.
Clamp a straight edge on the screw side so the work pulls up to it.
Hope that helps Simon

Oryxdesign":13e53soo said:
Not trying to hurt your feelings Steve I respect what you do, but I wouldn't want anybody to be put off trying PH Joinery.

No problem, not at all, and I agree with you entirely. If it were the mainstay of my work, I'd probably have the same attitude. But it's not, and I use it just occasionally, so I'm more worried about getting it right and less bothered about the minutes.

As you say, horses for courses.

S

Latest posts

Back