anyone else seen this monstrosity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine he put lie nielsen on there as he wanted to attract as many bids as possible and as a result listed all the plane makers that have similar bedrock sides.

Too bad he didn't spell it correctly.

People shy away from owning such planes but that is a mistake. I mean there are literally thousands of Norris examples...but I'm willing to bet there is only one of these...unique! (I blinkin' well hope so anyway!)

I am drawn to bidding though...as it would make a superb door stop.... :mrgreen:

Jim

James C":2f9bll4n said:
I imagine he put lie nielsen on there as he wanted to attract as many bids as possible and as a result listed all the plane makers that have similar bedrock sides.

The eBay rules call that 'keyword spamming' and don't allow it.

As an aside, it always makes me laugh when people put planes up on eBay with loads of pictures, but never bother to show the sole! :roll:

AndyT":2bk4twr9 said:
James C":2bk4twr9 said:
The eBay rules call that 'keyword spamming' and don't allow it.
... report it?

Now I can get a proper look at it, I'd say it may be ugly, but it's also very unusual. It looks like a lot of effort for a one-off, but I would guess that it was not a commercial offering. I think a commercial maker would have included a Bailey style adjuster - this lacks any adjustment at all, and I guess relies on a tight screw with some resilience from the leather pad to allow hammer taps to work.
I don't think it will make a huge amount - no prestige name to go for, and presumably not 'the rare one' from a reprinted catalogue. I'd describe it as a wooden plane with a steel sheathing, not an infill. Presumably the steel was added when the maker saw how little wood was left in the middle.

It's possibly quite late as well - I'd guess at first half of C20th. Maybe made by someone in a shipyard. Scotland in its time must have had a huge concentration of skilled woodworkers, able to prove that the design options for planes will never be exhausted.

Back