Anyone bought an eBay router insert plate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to build my Triton TRA001 into my bosch gtx 10 xc. I've been looking at which insert plate to get and have whittled it down to two extremes,

One is the eBay job, about thirty quid of 8mm alloy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232013598934

The other is the eye wateringly expensive Incra at 110 quid.

I've dismissed the ujk plates due to reports of lack of flatness, and phenolic because of the same.

Has anyone bought an eBay plate, what has been your experience?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have the Incra which is very expensive but pretty good however had this been around at the time I would have considered it, however:

1) It is rather narrow at 120mm

2). This statement would worry me " .Please allow 1-3cm error due tomanualmeasurement". ......... 1 - 3 CM That's a hell of a tolerance unless he means mm

I'm coming to the conclusion that the perfect router plate (for me) hasn't yet been made.

I came very close recently to buying the Incra, BUT...

... I have a T11*. It has three, differently-spaced mounting holes (three more if you use the quick-release cam system), and needs a 19mm hole for the height adjuster's box spanner. The height adjuster hole and the slot for lifting the insert rings out both need to be to the front of the table, so they are not covered by the fence, featherboards, etc.

Incra's pre-drilled plate is a thing of beauty and a lot of common sense, BUT the router is rotated in the wrong way on the plate, so that these crucial parts of the system are in the wrong places.

Given this is CNC milled (presumably), it's completely trivial for Incra to fix the problem. But, apparently, they won't do it. Several well-respected woodworkers, including distributors, apparently have pointed out the problems to them, and that Elu/Trend/DeWalt/CMT--style routers are very popular "over here". They have been fobbed off or ignored (or so I am told). Apparently Incra have no intention of ever fixing this, even though it would be trivial.

In every other respect, their plate would be exactly what I need. Sadly the issue is a complete showstopper for me:

1. You cannot use a router table for anything precise if you can't do fine height adjustment easily. This includes setting up rail+stile sets, mitre lock cutters and a host of other joint cutters and profilers.

2. I often do things where I change cutters but keep the rest of the setup exactly the same - fence, stops, etc. For example when routing "counterbored" slots for jigs. I can't do this if I can't easily remove the middle rings without shifting the fence.

So the Incra, whilst a thing of beauty, fails for me practically on two important counts, and thirdly because the company appears to be deaf to sensible customer comments. I don't have time for that sort of 1970s "you'll take what we give you and be grateful" nonsense.

I know you don't have a T11 - I did read your initial post.

I'm only writing the above as a warning: if you do consider buying Incra, make jolly sure first that the router fits in exactly the way you need it to. In particular, check where any under-table controls would end up when it's in place, and that you can get easily to everything you need to operationally. It's expensive, so don't guess -- find someone using your router with the plate you want to buy first -- ideally a dealer or distributor, so you can check it out thoroughly.

If you sense frustration above, you're dead right. Router plates seem to be inadequately thought out, and a way of milking woodworkers. It isn't rocket science to get it right, it just needs a bit of careful thought and LISTENING TO CUSTOMER FEEDBACK. Meanwhile...

E.

PS: Don't go near that ebay thing with a 20ft pole - frustration and disappointment will be the main outcome, for all sorts of good reasons.

PPS: Have a look at the thick aluminium UJK ones from Axminster, too. It's no use to me (not drilled for Trend T11 and no way do I want a second plate underneath), but I understand the Triton's "needs" may be simpler.

*Contrary to popular myth you can easily change the cutters from above (I do it every time, although it needs a button-push below for a couple of moments in the process).

Hi Eric

I bought the Incra undrilled for my DeWalt from Peter at woodworkersworkshop and I'm pretty sure they do a drilling service for those who don't want pre-drilled or not happy to do it themselves.

I'd read about the issues which is why I went down that route.

As far as Incra are concerned, well what do you expect from an American company. :lol:
Bob

Thanks Bob.

My present plate is an older Axminster one (8mm aluminium, but with plastic rings). I had it professionally drilled locally. Somehow it's got very slightly bent, but more annoying is that the plastic inserts have worn in use so they're now slightly lower than the plate, leaving a lip (and yes, stock does catch on it). It's OK for many things, but not when the stock has to run vertically along the fence, etc.

I'd stump-up for the Incra, but unless the undrilled one is a lot cheaper than the pre-driled ones, I couldn't run to drilling too, all over again. Looking presently at making my own rings somehow, as that would be OK-ish.

I'll email Peter, to ask. Obviously if it's cheap enough there's no point in DIYing it.

The ever-so-nearly aspects of this are frustrating.

E.

PS: I really regret not getting in on the forum group buy a few years ago. they were beautiful things!

LarryS":2fufj9wb said:
Hi,

I'm looking to build my Triton TRA001 into my bosch gtx 10 xc. I've been looking at which insert plate to get and have whittled it down to two extremes,

One is the eBay job, about thirty quid of 8mm alloy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232013598934

The other is the eye wateringly expensive Incra at 110 quid.

I've dismissed the ujk plates due to reports of lack of flatness, and phenolic because of the same.

Has anyone bought an eBay plate, what has been your experience?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi Paul

I think the info on our website is a little out of date, We are working on the new all improved one!

The Incra plates are a little cheaper than you think (not a lot) and from memory the Incra MLP7518-AL now come predrilled for the TRA001 and with the mounting screws for the router. I am not in the office for a few days but if you wished to know more ring and ask for Pete Lloyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZJBZiOv04

Whichever plate you go for check the aperture size within your table as plates come in different dimensions.

Cheers Peter

Eric The Viking":133og2h4 said:
Thanks Bob.

My present plate is an older Axminster one (8mm aluminium, but with plastic rings). I had it professionally drilled locally. Somehow it's got very slightly bent, but more annoying is that the plastic inserts have worn in use so they're now slightly lower than the plate, leaving a lip (and yes, stock does catch on it). It's OK for many things, but not when the stock has to run vertically along the fence, etc.

I'd stump-up for the Incra, but unless the undrilled one is a lot cheaper than the pre-driled ones, I couldn't run to drilling too, all over again. Looking presently at making my own rings somehow, as that would be OK-ish.

I'll email Peter, to ask. Obviously if it's cheap enough there's no point in DIYing it.

The ever-so-nearly aspects of this are frustrating.

E.

PS: I really regret not getting in on the forum group buy a few years ago. they were beautiful things!
Yep I missed that as well though at the time had a full size spindle moulder plus another little one on the K5 so never bothered with a table. I bought the magnaloc inserts from Peter as well and they are excellent.
Just to add that the service received from Him and his company was superb, a pleasure to deal with.

Bob

Latest posts

Back