Anyone back to baking yet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN2124.JPG

DSCN2125.JPG

65/35 white and dark rye with poppy seeds and (white) saffron with apricots, flame raisins and peel. I had to turn the bread over as it was so pretty. First for a couple of months.

Attachments

• DSCN2124.JPG
    DSCN2124.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 1,204
  • DSCN2125.JPG
    DSCN2125.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 1,204
I never stopped a regular favourite is what we call Pizza bread

a meal on its own quick and easy snack. Ideal to grab and go.

There's a lot of breadmaking going on down that end of the country. Do the Warburtons Toastie vans not make it that far?

Wildman":1nlh47xm said:
I never stopped a regular favourite is what we call Pizza bread

a meal on its own quick and easy snack. Ideal to grab and go.

That looks interesting - any more details (please?)

BugBear

Mr Panasonic has had quite a lot of use recently. Sainsburys own mix in both brown and white comes out very well.

New year resolution - no more mince pies until December 2017. Gotta have something to look forward to!

I fancy that poppy seed loaf though. New machine takes 2 hours for dough which is a bit annoying - the other one took 20 minutes. Tend to do the same thing - all machine every time, a bit lazy.

I used to use a breadmaker to mix the dough, then turn it out onto a sheaf to bake as it rose better that way than it did in the machine. When it broke down I started to do it by hand, then swmbo bought me a mixer with a dough hook. Once you get used to the timing of proving it doesn't take very long, you just spend a few minutes weighing everything out then do something else for 45 mins, knock it back for a couple of minutes then leave it for 45mins before baking (approx times). It takes ages if you're not used to doing it because you sit and watch ... and wait ... and watch ...

Just taken some panettone out of the oven. Dont have high hopes - took about 24 hours to rise... Large amount of butter/sugar/egg in the dough that the yeast doesnt like too much....
Needs to cool a bit before cutting....

Adam

I use a basic white bread recipe but add oats, and mixed peppers, brown instead of white sugar. Mix in the bread mixer then pour into the tray and place in a warm place to rise. Then add your choice of toppings, I use tomato sauce, Thyme sprinkled over and a home made pizza mix that includes allsorts for a real pizza flavour. Grated cheese on top then bake gas mk6-7 for around 3/4 hour. Happy baking.

Phil P - Yep, thats the ticket. I followed the BakeryBits recipe which suggested the osmotolerant yeast. Its not something that I have in my storecupboard (unlike their suggested flour....), but I'll get some next time I place an order. Anyway, here's a couple piccies of the finished loaf. It's a bit cakey, and not nearly light enough to be considered a proper panettone, but the flavour is ok, and the dried fruit nice and juicy. Strangely, it didnt really expand much in the oven, but perhaps thats a feature of the poor proving?

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

My usual white loaf is a very straightforward 500g bread flour (been favouring 00/pasta flour recently for its lightness), 10g salt, 5g fast-acting (makes life so much easier, and there is no flavour difference) yeast, 320g water. Mix all up and knead briefly every 15mins for 60 mins, then again in another 60 mins, then shape, prove till 'ready', bake in *well* preheated oven (max it will go) with roasting tray of water on the bottom (steam very important for improved initial heat transfer to give you that crisp crust) for 10 mins then drop to 180-170 for another 30-35 mins. Cool, slice, add butter, eat.

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpg
    IMG_7533.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG_7534.jpg
    IMG_7534.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,064
christmas present from the mum in law was a new panasonic bread maker, other than me not realising the cup wasn't to be used for flour measurement (it was on the last one you see, it's not that I'm an silly person, honest) and wasting the first loaf it's been great and makes a rather fine loaf. still doesn't beat hand kneading but my excuse is the 3 year old running around my legs. :) which reminds me, I'm out of flour.

Leave it out you lot. I've had a padlock fitted to my breadmaker, its the only way I can lose weight. (that and cutting out the pint of real ale every day).
Almost 4 kg's down after 5 weeks, but I'm starting to hallucinate about thick sliced home made bread toasted with a thick layer of butter and bovril.
THERE! Now see what youve gone and done.

pies.jpg

I made my traditional pork pies for christmas and another batch for new year, just had the last one yesterday. Made a pork and black pudding one too which went down with the family much better than I expected.

Attachments

• pies.jpg
    pies.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 953
My friend used to run a very good pub where he did all his own baking inc. bread and pasties (280 at a time). He used to make proper pork pies with hot water pastry but gave them up in the end as he used to get so many returned because there was something wrong with them - they weren't pink. :D

Fatboy":2kszr1su said:

I made my traditional pork pies for christmas and another batch for new year, just had the last one yesterday. Made a pork and black pudding one too which went down with the family much better than I expected.

They look good enough to eat! =D> =D>

This thread has made me hungry - I'm off to make some stilton and cranberry rolls :lol:

Fatboy":3nae17wk said:
That sound tasty :D

They were!

IMG_1099.JPG

A variation on Paul Hollywood's Stilton and Bacon recipe - we had vegetableist neighbours coming for tea. My first foray into bread making for a couple of years (we've moved about a lot) - chuffed with the results. :D

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 305
Not having a shed after moving a while ago I've been doing a fair bit of baking. Works out cheaper than butchering wood.

Made some muffins at the weekend, they didn't last very long. Also made a few disasters. It's amazing how much difference little things make, like letting your butter warm up too much before you get everything in the oven.

Back