Anyone actually claimed PPI?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I, like many others, get PPI calls and emails and I've never done anything about it. I bank with the Halifax and I believe they were a band offender.

Has anyone claimed and got any advice on the best way of doing so. Did you use a company or go straight to the provider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was contacted by letter by an organisation that actually knew I and others had been done by Barclays, as opposed to a random phone call from someone trying their luck.

Basically I didn't have to do anything, and just got a small cheque at the end of it all.

I took out a loan; for some daft reason it was cheaper to take out a 5 year than a 1 year.
I paid off the loan in 12 months.

Not long after the PPI thingy first blew up.
The bank wrote to me to say they had been naughty and were ever so sorry. Included was a cheque, but it for far more than the total interest I had paid, so I knew it was a mistake. I opened another account in another bank ready, for when they spotted their mistake and asked for it back.
A few months later they sent me another identical letter with another cheque for the same sum, again it went into the new account.
The money sat there for 2 years and then I donated the lot to a local hospic.

lurker":1o7cz50s said:
The money sat there for 2 years and then I donated the lot to a local hospic.

Never thought of calling the pub a hospice, I'll keep that in mind for the future. ;)

In all seriousness, nice one dude :)

My wife went direct to our bank and a loan company we used.. got 7k from one and 2.5k from the other.. well worth the time it takes to ask.. knocked a few years off the mortgage :)

I had £500 accidentally deposited in my Virgin One bank account. A couple of days later received a letter asking me to sign a form allowing them to take back the money.

Clearly it had to go back and so signed the letter but amended the amount to £475 and charged them a £25 admin fee. :D

RogerS":p9dcabkd said:
I had £500 accidentally deposited in my Virgin One bank account. A couple of days later received a letter asking me to sign a form allowing them to take back the money.

Clearly it had to go back and so signed the letter but amended the amount to £475 and charged them a £25 admin fee. :D

Roger you work cheap :lol:

RogerS":2zxzp65u said:

Very satisfying to beat them at their own game isnt it?

Do it yourself its supposed to be easy, letter format is above - these companies charge 30% for doing very little and next to zero expertise.

Brian

A friend of mine got paid out 5K. He DID risk the random phone call and £50. He is totally finacially illiterate ( he admits it) so it works for some.

Yep,

Did it myself and got about £4k from Direct Line, sent the letter, couple of phone calls and then the cheque arrived. Doing MBNA at the moment.

Jon.

Back