Anybody know what this tool is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesquonk

Reaction score
Hi Everybody, first post on forum! I obtained this with some Japanese tools so assume it is is a Japanese something or other. It is about 9 inches long and has 8 small scraper blades fixed permanently. I am assuming it is a scraping tool, but name and use? Any ideas....

20230225_105034.jpg

20230225_105040.jpg

It is a modern oriental version of a classic cabinet-makers' and plane-makers' tool called a 'Float'.

The traditional version has teeth that, in profile, are shaped like a Rip Saw that has been stretched from its narrow profile to something about an inch or so wide, though the shapes and widths can vary.

Here's a typical cabinet makers one made in France by Liogier:
https://www.fine-tools.com/liogier-floats.html
They were made also by Lie-Nielsen in America for plane-makers:
https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/mint-set-of-5-lie-nielsen-plane-maker-s-floats-97659
You'll notice that they are different to yours which is intended for broad, open surfaces, but if you look at the profile of each of your blades, you will see that it is slightly angled - rather like a saw-tooth, and is angled in the same way.

It is in essence the same angled shapes in profile as the ones I showed.

I should stress that these photos show the tools 'factory-fresh'. To get them to work properly they need to be sharpened precisely. Basically you are buying a blunt tool that needs fettling to work. It is done with a saw file so that the tips of each of the teeth are aligned precisely from toe to heel.
In use, it is laid on the work and stroked evenly along the work in one direction only., Properly sharpened, it is capable of producing a very flat and even surface on the most awkward of grains, even on end grain - wooden plane-makers use the this type of tool to align the beds of the throats evenly and precisely.

Initial sharpening is involved, thereafter it's a matter of maintenance. Basically it is similar to sharpening a rip-saw - even and flat strokes with a file at the angles that you see. But, with this tool it is essential that the rims of each of the teeth are exactly aligned so that they each sit on the work and skim it in progression.

Floats are not used much these days, mainly because it is a difficult tool to sharpen as intended, but it is an excellent final finishing tool for difficult woods.

Good luck.

Last edited:
guessing here but traditional Chinese chairs are made not unlike maloof chairs. sharpened these would acheive curves on the rosewood used for these chairs.

It is a modern oriental version of a classic cabinet-makers' and plane-makers' tool called a 'Float'.

The traditional version has teeth that, in profile, are shaped like a Rip Saw that has been stretched from its narrow profile to something about an inch or so wide, though the shapes and widths can vary.

Here's a typical cabinet makers one made in France by Liogier:
https://www.fine-tools.com/liogier-floats.html
They were made also by Lie-Nielsen in America for plane-makers:
https://www.jimbodetools.com/products/mint-set-of-5-lie-nielsen-plane-maker-s-floats-97659
You'll notice that they are different to yours which is intended for broad, open surfaces, but if you look at the profile of each of your blades, you will see that it is slightly angled - rather like a saw-tooth, and is angled in the same way.

It is in essence the same angled shapes in profile as the ones I showed.

I should stress that these photos show the tools 'factory-fresh'. To get them to work properly they need to be sharpened precisely. Basically you are buying a blunt tool that needs fettling to work. It is done with a saw file so that the tips of each of the teeth are aligned precisely from toe to heel.
In use, it is laid on the work and stroked evenly along the work in one direction only., Properly sharpened, it is capable of producing a very flat and even surface on the most awkward of grains, even on end grain - wooden plane-makers use the this type of tool to align the beds of the throats evenly and precisely.

Initial sharpening is involved, thereafter it's a matter of maintenance. Basically it is similar to sharpening a rip-saw - even and flat strokes with a file at the angles that you see. But, with this tool it is essential that the rims of each of the teeth are exactly aligned so that they each sit on the work and skim it in progression.

Floats are not used much these days, mainly because it is a difficult tool to sharpen as intended, but it is an excellent final finishing tool for difficult woods.

Good luck.
Thanks for that reply - I've had a similar tool to the Liogier ones for years in with some rasps and never knew what it was or really what it was for - but my one is slightly different. I thought it was for use on soft metals, , and have on one or two occasions used it, soft metals. on my one you would not attempt to do any sharpening as it is hardened like a file.

Hand planes need sharpening so this should be good. Anyone want to kick off.;)
The blades seem to be made to present different angles to the wood - so one of these could suit most of the people here :)

Back