Anybody going to the European Woodworking show this weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody going to the European Woodworking show this weekend in Essex? I'll be there with my three young lads. Lots of excitement in the house - mainly from me!

Sadly no, though I had intended to.
There should be a few folk there who are well known on the hand tools section.

Anyone who is going, please take and post some photos. I believe the barns are pretty special, even without this weekend's extra contents!

I was very much hoping to go for the first time but three days after a knee operation and the thought of a three hour drive and two days on my feet wasn't what the doctor ordered unfortunately :(

First time for me so I'll be taking lots of pics and videos so will share them here.

I am going on saterday with the wife and some marking gauges.

Pete

Sadly I will have to miss it this year as it is my good ladys birthday on the 14th (70) and her kids are having a suprise party on the Saturday night.So going to Essex is a NO NO.I normally go down for the week as I used to live in Braintree just a few miles away and my kids and grand son are still live in Braintree.

Peter

if it is like last time perhaps we can persuade the story teller in the story tent to lure our better halves there and thell them few stories about how their partners are responsible and they realy need all those things they buying there.
BTW just setting off.

Just got back, and chris vesper cleaned me out of cash in exchange for some beautiful tools. Truly stunning.

I didn't think much to the demos, last time it was David savage, this time it was Derek from F&C. I think it was a sad afterthought on the organisers behalf.

Dave charlesworth is looking very well if not a little wheezy. He is such a perfectionist and a really lovely guy.

Nice day all in all but more master classes are needed.

I have to say I was a little disappointed by the lack of machinery this year, the only machinery really was the jet stand and that was very thin. The prices also seem pretty poor this year and some things were actually more expensive at the show than online, you have been warned to check price before you jump in!!
Having said that, the veneer hub have a great display of veneers on offer (which I brought back a small load of :twisted: )
The lie nielsen, veritas and other plane, chisel and rasp stalls in the main barn were very good and pretty well stocked. I accidentally came home with a lie nielsen 60 1/2 low angle block plane which is lovely (after a little fettling).
I also bought the abranet hand sanding kit which is a good offer and I tried it when i got home, its absolutely fantastic and i'll even be writing up a little review on it, I was that impressed.
Trend have a great stall with fantastic people on hand very willing to help, also they have brought loads with them and some bits are very good deals.
For everyone going tomorrow, have fun and make sure you negotiate if buying more than one item, extra savings are there for the taking if you are bold enough to ask :D

We had a good time, talked to some very interesting people saw some fantastic tools, and got some nice comments about my marking gauges, planes and box, David Barron has some pictures of my stuff on his blog.

Pete

I quite liked the fact there was little machinery and it was all in the far barn
I bought some of Chris Vesper's tools stunningly engineered that work great
I agree it needs some proper masterclass/ clinics rather than having demonstrators there doing whatever.
It was good to see so many new hand tool companies though I wonder how many wooden planes can be sold in the UK.
Well done Classic Hand Tools for arranging an excellent event.

Racers":1phmuprb said:
We had a good time, talked to some very interesting people saw some fantastic tools, and got some nice comments about my marking gauges, planes and box, David Barron has some pictures of my stuff on his blog.

Pete

I saw that post. Your stuff looked great.

I was planning on going, but a delayed start meant it simply wouldn't be worth the entrance fee.
£12 entrance seems pretty steep for what appears to be a glorified trade show. Yandles seem to run a very similar event with no entrance fee at all.

I took money but didn't buy any thing just talked to people, I felt no pressure to buy anything you should have gone I think you would have enjoyed it.

Pete

Latest posts

Back