Any word on Auriou auction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a newsletter from Classic Handtools. It looks like there are plans to resume manufacturing of these fine rasps sometime in the near future:

Auriou - Latest Update
Last Thursday 24 January the machinery, blanks and residual stock of Auriou were auctioned in St Juery, Albi, France. Of longer term interest to Auriou devotees is the genuine hope that production of their world famous rasps and rifflers will begin again later this year.

In the shorter term a list is being compiled of over 600 rasps and rifflers that will be sold through Classic Hand Tools. The list will be available as an excel spreadsheet, to register your interest in receiving this list please email [email protected] quoting Auriou Rasps and Rifflers in the subject field.

Seems to me that there would need to be MAJOR changes if they start procduction again as the price of the rasps must be what really killed the company (there was talk of issues with wages I believe) and the Chinese rasps are pretty good at 1/8 of the price Auriou charged.

I wish them the best, and if the prices are lower........

Tony wrote:
the Chinese rasps are pretty good at 1/8 of the price Auriou charged.

I have never used these expensive French rasps but my daughter bought me a small set of the Chinese ones from Workshop Heaven for Christmas. I used them for the first time yesterday just to make a hole slightly larger and I found them very, very good, so just why any one would want to spend £40 (iIrc) on a single Auriou rasp seems beyond me - Rob

Rob
In use the Auriou rasps are just incredible - difficult to explain but trying one it becomes obvious. Sadly, worth every penny. :(
Philly :D

Philly":358zs4xt said:
Rob
In use the Auriou rasps are just incredible - difficult to explain but trying one it becomes obvious. Sadly, worth every penny. :(
Philly :D

Phill - would be an interesting thing to do at a 'Bash' later in the year to compare like with like? - Rob

Oo, good. Sounds like the auction went as planned. My email rules were messed up.

Tony, the Chinese rasps are good value, but they are a very different tool - almost like comparing a cold chisel to a paring chisel. The different tooth structure means that in relative terms, Chinese rasps abrade wood, Aurious (and Gaignard-Millon) cut it.

Cheers
Steve

I have some Chinese, some from Dick and a couple of Aurious - the difference is just amazing. There is no contest when you try them out.
I originally bought a grade 13 which although fine, removes wood at a amazing pace and with a much better finish than the finest of the others. I was so impressed I then bought a grade 15 (even finer) which again removes wood at an amazing speed even though it is extra fine!
The are expensive I agree, but in a different league to the others.

Rod

Classic Hand Tools - see 2nd post.

I tried for one early this morning but later had a reply it had already been sold! :(

Rod

Back