Any sparkies?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good knowledge of woodwork but as for electrics I am lacking. I need to upgrade my supply to the workshop to 16A to accomodate my new table saw. I have armoured cable running down there at the moment but it is only 2.5mm. I assume I will need something in the region of 4mm or above for this. Will I need one supply dedicated just to the saw or could I run 4mm down to power the worshop and take the saw off this? I have a consumer unit in the workshop with one MCB for the lights and another for the sockets. If I have to run a seperate cable down for just the saw should I install another Consumer unit? excuse the ignorance but never had anything this big before. :oops:

When I installed my saw the sparky ran a dedicated circuit, but I did have a new consumer unit fitted in the workshop at the same time.

Not really much help is it :roll:

Cheers

Mike

In my opinion you could run a additional 2.5mm connected in parallel with the existing so total 5sqmm the consumer unit needs a extra 16amp mcb and a 40amp rcd that will protect all your circuits .
thats 2 ways rcd and 1 way each 6a.20a.&16a total 5 (8 ways nearest box size ) and you will have to increase the mcb that feeds the two cables to 32a.
The 16amp circuit will be separately cabled to a blue socket adjacent to your 12" SIP.

How far from the house is your workshop (consumer unit to consumer unit)?

Is the existing cable buried? If so, was it run within a duct/conduit? What size fuse is protecting this cable at the house end?

Personally I would never install any less than 10mm² cable to a workshop with any large machines (unless the cable run is extremely short). If your saw requires a 16A supply it will draw anywhere between 2-5 times that on start-up. During this surge the voltage drops considerably unless the cable is sized appropriately. If the VD is excessive (>4% of the supply voltage (9.2V) then besides it not complying with BS7671 you are also likely to have problems with the motor starting as they do not like undervoltages.

Well Davy, the consumer units are about 30mtrs apart. (Rough guess) AT the moment the fuse to the workshop is a 30amp one with a 30 amp MCB in the workshop end. The lighting is seperate on the workshop consumer unit but is fed by the same armoured cable. It also feeds off the ring main in the house so I would like to update it anyway. Oh and I am not sure if it is in conduit or laid bare in the ground as it was already there to the original shed.

When sizing a submain feed for a workshop you need to know a figure for maximum demand. This is the most 'electricity' that you will be using at any one time. Take your most powerful tool and add on the extractor, lights, radio, chargers and any other electrical appliance that you might have on. In my workshop the worst case scenario is when I have my mitre saw (2000w), trend extractor (1200w) and my dust extractor (1500w) running at once.

As voltage drop occurs throughout the entire installation it's a good idea to allow yourself some spare capacity in the cable run you are calculating. IMO, a drop of 4V is the absolute maximum for a submain feed that is likely to supply loads with startup surges. Further VD will occur in the cable between the saw and the consumer unit, and between the service head and your house consumer unit, and the total drop should not exceed 9.2V.

Take a maximum demand of 20A over a 30m run. The figure for VD on 6mm² SWA=
7.3mv/a/m
7.3mv * 20A * 30m = 4.38V

10mm² SWA=
4.4mv/a/m
4.4mv x 20A x 30m = 2.64V

As I said earlier, I would consider running 10mm², but if the cost is prohibitive (30m 3core SWA = about £110) then 6mm² should be ok.

Oh, and as OLD pointed out, there is a requirement for RCD protection for circuits likely to supply outdoor appliances. For a domestic outbuilding it is reasonable to expect that this is the case so if you do not have 30mA RCD protection either in the house that protects the submain, or an RCD in the workshop CU, then this should be seen to at the same time.

Thanks for that Davy. I think I will see what discount I can get on 10mm and go for that just in case. I feel it would be better to over compensate in this respect as I don't know what machines I will run in the future and I do use a lot of power tools and machines not to mention the chip collector dust extractors ETC.

That figures , it aint spam , it's a link to an electricians cable size calculator

Hi SR Limited

Welcome to the forum. You got caught by the spamulator, which stops after you've made a few posts.

The link for the calculator is here.

Cheers,
Neil

Back