Any recommendations for Bulk Polyurathane/acrylic Varnish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex8542

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to start a multi month project to make all of my home's furniture with mostly 18mm Birch PlY and am intending to seal it and have a durable (plastic-ish?) satin look. it's going to need to cover 50 full sheets of ply, double sided, probably 2 coats, so those tiny 2.5L canisters won't do the job.

Does anyone have any recommendation on for any brands of arcylic varnish that is avalible in 20L canisters (or anything that's not tiny)

thanks!!

Try a industrial paint supplier.

Must be plenty in London.

Cheers James

Could you name me any please? I've never to finish my woods, so i have no clue where to start searching. All i yeild online is "paintmaster" and they're not in london.

should i just try to hit up some timber yards instead? (I work in a workshop and have no idea about the suppliers, this is the first time i'm doing a personal project

Do not discount 2.5L or even 5L tins. Firstly because you will be surprised how far they go. Large tins also get clogged up around the rim the more times they are opened so this happens less with smaller tins. Finally, the size they sell most of is often the most economical way to buy.

Colin

Do not discount 2.5L or even 5L tins. Firstly because you will be surprised how far they go. Large tins also get clogged up around the rim the more times they are opened so this happens less with smaller tins. Finally, the size they sell most of is often the most economical way to buy.

Colin

Thanks for the tip, it's just that i'm looking at this paintmaster acrylic varnish and it's 30 quid for 5 liter, and 50 quid for 20L, which makes me think it's worth any of the hassel if other suppliers also scale in price like this.

but i have yet to have anyone to say they have experience with paintmaster paints which is kinda worrying

Alex,
have you worked out how much varnish you will need and what the possible savings could be?
50 sheets x 2 sides x 2 coats x 2.4m x 1.2m = 576m2
1L typically does more than 10m2 so you are "only" looking at 60L
Is it worth the risk on such a big project and very expensive plywood outlay for the comparatively small saving?
I'd buy the branded stuff that is readily available from major outlets. If you went into a Trade outlet you would probably get a decent discount, or keep an eye on the DIY sheds for offers.
I used the later to save myself a fair bit when I used 140L to paint my workshop.

Colin

As has been said, often the best price can be had on a suppliers most sold size; you’ll probably find you can get as good a bulk price on, say 20x2.5ltr tins as for single 50ltr drum.

have you tried Morrells Wood Finishes?

As has been said, often the best price can be had on a suppliers most sold size; you’ll probably find you can get as good a bulk price on, say 20x2.5ltr tins as for single 50ltr drum.

have you tried Morrells Wood Finishes?

I've never finished wood property before, so no, you're the first to recommend a brand! I just have no idea where to start other than picking up a random can from Wickes or Screwfix

ill go check them out!, would the 362 High Performance Severe-Use Waterborne Lacquers be a good idea? What's good about morrells?

thanks!

I have been using this stuff on the furniture I make for years and can thoroughly recommend it, thin down the first coat a little then two more and the finish is superb straight from the brush, a very light denib between coats, as said before I wouldn’t go for one big tin. Johnstons Satin finish water-based, by the time you’ve got to the other end of the sheet of ply you can almost start again it’s that quick. Ian

I recommend you buy a sample of varnish and try it on scrap birch ply first. For furniture you will need at least 2 coats so for the quantity you are envisaging you could consider having it pre-sprayed from the likes of Cutlist C21R3-Full.pdf (cutlist.co.uk) who are just up the M40 north of High Wycombe, who also offer a cutting service so may save you bags of time and frustration.

or even spraying it yourself?

If you buy 50l of paint in 25l cans and try one then that's £100 down the drain if you try a 2.5l first then your only outlay is £25.....

Cheers James

Back