Any one else noticed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard863

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record Bandsaw BS350S and built a sledge for accurate mitreing and cross cutting. After making 2 runners for the table top track then fixing the to the sledge I find it will not slide.

On inspection I find the 2 tracks that I assumed should be parallel are out by 1mm over their length. :shock: :?

As I have had this saw a year or so. Any recommendations apart from the box of matches trick or buying a professional machine.

Richard

Don't Record have a 5 year guarantee? might be worth giving them a ring.

Pete

The workaround is quick'n'easy. but it's not a solution: simply shave a bit off the sides of one of the runners on the sled, then it will follow the other side (but you'll probably have to push it slightly asymmetrically).

But If it was bought new, you still have rights.

Much as I detest the EU, its more stringent consumer law has recently been implemented here to your benefit.

It's a manufacturing defect that you've only just noticed. I would suggest a pragmatic approach: assuming it or a similar model is still current, it should be practical for the supplier to send you a replacement table. It's only four bolts (on my SIP) anyway.

How are your negotiating skills? You've used it (I assume), so the whole saw can't be returned for refurb and resale without work - getting the table swapped out is probably a good compromise.

I would contact them, explain the situation and ask for their help.

I've no sled, but I occasionally do need to run the fence on the 'inside' as well as the outside on my bandsaw, so it would matter to me*. It's not something you'd reasonably be expected to check initially - we can't be expected to measure every part of the machine, for example to check bandwheel balance or pulley alignment. There is an expectation that these are correct within reasonable tolerances, and the error you quote isn't reasonable! If the table is that badly off, it might also not be square itself, or possibly not flat -- it's worth checking as it lends weight to the argument.

Bandsaws can be set up to run pretty accurately, and whilst the rip fence is the big thing, having a properly working sliding fence is also important.

I'm sure you know that you assess drift for each blade you fit (Steve has an excellent DVD about this), and really you're taking into account both the set and alignment of the blade, WRT everything else. The outcome of using the "wrong" slot, would most probably be a rather rough cut, rather than an actual mitre error, but that may not be acceptable.

E.

PS: Whatever Record's warranty is, your contract is with the supplier, and they have the legal responsibility to sell you something ft for purpose (unless the new EU consumer rights changed this).

Latest posts

Back