Any Old Iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year SWMBO and I had a chance to run down to Gloucestershire to pick up an old cast iron planer and 2 horse motor. We had an excellent trip in which Sarah was introduced to 'rough cider', :eek:ccasion5: but that's another story :lol:

The planer and motor must weigh a couple of hundredweight together so I used an old tablesaw stand as the support, had the blades sharpened, and carefully ran some tests to make sure it worked. What I needed was 1) Something to stop the drive belt being damaged by getting fingers wedged in it, 2) Something to stop the blades being blunted by coming into contact with bone, and 3) A way to collect all the chips together.

This is what I came up with:

planer1.jpg

planer2.jpg

planer3.jpg

planer4.jpg

planer5.jpg

planer6.jpg

Lovely job Jordan. Might have to nip over soon for a closer look :wink:

Nice job. I have an old planer. I've made a simple guard which just raises up and down. I have planned for some time (but can't seem to find any round tuits) to make your type of guard, as I prefer that type. My question is, what did you use for a spring? Everything I've thought of will probably be too strong or too weak.

Brad

Hi Brad

The guard plate is made from 3/4 ply and attached to a thick dowel which runs about 3/4 of the length of the support tube (a kitchen worktop support leg). Inside the tube, the end of the spring is inserted into the dowel and hangs straight down through the open end of the tube. The other end of the spring is attached (firmly) to the blue chassis.
I took the fence off, and spun the guard plate around a couple of times to put some tension in the spring, then replaced the guard. Using this method a wide selection of springs may be used, this one came out of a oddbox of bits at my local hardware shop.

Dennis

Latest posts

Back