Any legal-eagle anglers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Does this make sense ? The area bounded in red claims to be the fishing rights - ie from the bank to mid-way across the river. But if you look at the area identified by the red arrows, the fishing rights appear to start well into the actual river which seems a bit of a nonsense. Is this normal - fly fishers only ? Or an error at the Land Registry ?

ukw fishing right qurey.png

Attachments

• ukw fishing right qurey.png
    ukw fishing right qurey.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,555
I'm a fly fisherman Roger and have fished many private waters over the years. The fishing rights have always extended from the riverbank to the centre of the river and are owned by the landowner of said river bank. I have heard of owners selling those rights but I believe they also have to grant right of accss along the bank as a condition of sale.

I don't know the legal issues but your plan looks a bit strange.

Bob

Hi - I used to do a fair bit of fishing and I've had more than enough to do with land registry maps(!) but have no legal training. The problem with maps of rivers is of course that rivers don't stay put! Looking at your picture, I'd say that the top left part of the red polygon seems to follow a straight line because it overlays a black dotted line - do you know what that dotted line purports to show? What are the red arrows (did you put those on?). What does the accompanying description say? Is there a property boundary somewhere near the lefthand end of the red polygon and do you have copies of land reg. paperwork for (both sides of) this? Cheers, W2S

Woody2Shoes":2ixs52o8 said:
Hi - I used to do a fair bit of fishing and I've had more than enough to do with land registry maps(!) but have no legal training. The problem with maps of rivers is of course that rivers don't stay put! Looking at your picture, I'd say that the top left part of the red polygon seems to follow a straight line because it overlays a black dotted line - do you know what that dotted line purports to show? What are the red arrows (did you put those on?). What does the accompanying description say? Is there a property boundary somewhere near the lefthand end of the red polygon and do you have copies of land reg. paperwork for (both sides of) this? Cheers, W2S

That's a very good point regarding the dotted line. One would have to go and see the area for real to see if the bank has jutted out to that new dotted line. I can't recall when I was up there.

To answer your questions...
1) I put those red arrows on to highlight what I thought/think is the bank

2) What does the accompanying description say? Just refers to the red outline

3) Is there a property boundary somewhere near the lefthand end of the red polygon I don't think so. That's a footbridge over the river.

4) The map shown comes from the Land Registry !

EDIT: Just looked at Google Map satellite view, and you know, I think you may have hit the nail on the head and that that dotted line is the new bank...it's in a gorge and so could be landslip.

RogerS":1fnr8o53 said:
3) Is there a property boundary somewhere near the lefthand end of the red polygon I don't think so. That's a footbridge over the river.

I thought it was a footbridge - often a physical feature such as this is useful/convenient in defining a property boundary (partly because its less likely to move about!) - I was wondering if the lefthand end of the red polygon co-incided with a more general property boundary. Another obvious source of information is the land owner and/or his neighbours of course. Cheers, W2S

Lons is correct.

My landlord where I used to rent work shops had owned the fishing rights on her side of river and up to the middle, and rented the rights on the other bank but not the river bed.

This meant they could fish, wade and use a boat on her side using the bank and half way across the river but only fish from the bank on the side she rented, she had an agreement that they could take the fishermen across the river by boat and also access the side she rented by vehicle.

Roger

The straight line in the river - is that a weir? Google Earth may show it. If so fishing rights are either above or below the weir and upto the middle

Brian

finneyb":2nl9vv37 said:
Roger

The straight line in the river - is that a weir? Google Earth may show it. If so fishing rights are either above or below the weir and upto the middle

Brian

Brian

The straight line across the river is a footbridge. Looking at Google Maps satellite view you can see what looks to be the bank line coinciding with the dotted line that forms part of the red outline.

Spoken to the missus (she works at LR) and her advice is to go and speak to your local LR office, they can access the maps and the maps history and should be able to explain things. Many reasons why it could be like this, special boundaries, new bank line or even just a plain old mistake.

Rorschach":3zbep5up said:
Spoken to the missus (she works at LR) and her advice is to go and speak to your local LR office, they can access the maps and the maps history and should be able to explain things. Many reasons why it could be like this, special boundaries, new bank line or even just a plain old mistake.

Many thanks for that. I didn't realise one could simply do that. My local office isn't that far away from me.

RogerS":391qe6jn said:
Rorschach":391qe6jn said:

Many thanks for that. I didn't realise one could simply do that. My local office isn't that far away from me.

No problem. They have a helpline, give them a call first and explain the problem, apparently not all offices can handle drop in's so if you need to visit you will probably need to make an appointment.

Emailed the Land Registry to try and fix an appointment but apparently this type of query needs an application by email with marked up maps wherever possible as the information is kept offline. So I've done that and we shall see.

RogerS":3dzjjc1o said:
Emailed the Land Registry to try and fix an appointment but apparently this type of query needs an application by email with marked up maps wherever possible as the information is kept offline. So I've done that and we shall see.

While they are working on getting all their maps digitised, as you can imagine this is a massive job, especially since the boundaries and ownership changes everyday. Part of my partners job is digitisation and sometimes it can take an entire day to layout all the lines and information on just a single deed of maybe just a couple of acres of open land.

Rorschach":2v6u9h6s said:
RogerS":2v6u9h6s said:

While they are working on getting all their maps digitised, as you can imagine this is a massive job, especially since the boundaries and ownership changes everyday. Part of my partners job is digitisation and sometimes it can take an entire day to layout all the lines and information on just a single deed of maybe just a couple of acres of open land.

Fully understand..I wasn't having a poke at them, in case you got that impression.

RogerS":ynzz7m0j said:
Rorschach":ynzz7m0j said:
RogerS":ynzz7m0j said:

Fully understand..I wasn't having a poke at them, in case you got that impression.

Oh no I didn't think so, just thought you and others might like a slight insight into their work.

It could be that the bank in that area is unstable or dangerous, but that you can fish it 'on the dangle' by standing upstream. In theory fishing rights extend from the near bank to mid-river but try policing that!

Latest posts

Back