Any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCF1835.jpg

I picked up this saw for the bargain sum of £3.99 + postage recently, mainly because I thought it was unusual. Its blade length is 8" (20cm) and is 12" (30cm) long in total. It has 7tpi in a rip formation with a wide kerf (3mm whereas the blade is 1mm thick).

The unusual thing about it (to me anyway) is that it's designed more like an early handsaw (nib, no back etc.) than a tenon saw despite its tiny size.

Any ideas on age, use etc.?

Hmm. Trifle on the short side to be a Grafting, Pruning or Table Saw, so might be a Toy Saw perhaps. Salaman suggests some were sufficiently well made to be appropriated for real workshop use.

It's a short panel (Timber, plasterboard, etc.) saw from amongst someone's toolbox and they'd often be used for trimming dowels.

Thanks for the replies Alf and GazPal! I didn't even know that there were such things as table, grafting, toy or short panel saws! :oops:

Looks like a toy saw to me.

In my son's 'tool-set' years ago there was one such.

I remember thinking, why don't they make saw handles like that for 'grown-ups'!

No, I never got a 'round-tuit', to make my own!

John

:wink:

Thanks for your advice Benchwayze!

I also contacted The Tools And Trades History Society and their "saw expert" Simon Barley reckons it's a Grafting Saw circa 1880 - 1920.

Whatever it turns out to be I'm pleased I bought it as it fits in well with the rest of my saw collection which, by the way, is starting to verge on the obsessive! :shock:

Tsk. I went by Salaman, who gives 10in as the starting length for a grafting saw. Raphael, you lead me astray, sir! (But I'll forgive him. :) )

Back