Any ideas on a home made wall saw ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes ok you may well be right.

so thoughts. why not fix the saw, and move the wood.
sort of. i am thinking of rip rather than cross cut.
most of us don't have the room to tip the wood on
its long end. but i wonder about having a moveable wooden
support that fits on dowels. the sheet fits on top, and then
you can cut more easily. obviously you need to be able to
make adjustments for the odd measurements, but that seems
easier. :lol:

a 2x2 frame would support the rail and saw at 2440 length.
and would maybe come from the floor up. and needs only to be
say 1800 high. the saw itself could be moved up about 300 from
1000 to 1300, in small increments. and would move along
the rail horizontally.

the wood would be supported on a frame which stocks the rest
of your sheet goods.

might get you started. :twisted:

paul :wink:

Im thinking about moving the saw to save space , your going to need over double the length of a sheet to push it past the saw but your right on roof height , im lucky enough to have the room to stand a sheet on end .

no mate sorry what i meant was the saw has to be moved manually
up and down a bit to get the correct width, then the saw would
run along your guide rail.
does that make more sense :oops:

I think your thinking along the same lines as me .
The guide rail is set into two timbers at either end somehow , then moved up and down to where its needed . Then the saw runs along the guide rail to make the cut .
The problem im trying to get around is how to keep the guide rail square as it moves up and down . I can attach additional peices to the guide rail without fouling the saw so i could add runners at either end extending out to the tracks that Scrit posted .
Now ive just thought of another problem :roll: For different thickness of boards you will need to set the whole thing up again as the C&G needs to clamp onto the board its cutting .......Hmmmmm Easy to get around with shimming between the runners fixing blocks and the saw bed .

Jason I sent you some pictures by e mail. Let me know if this is what you want - will send the rest if required
Barry

jason, you're missing my point. we want to limit vertical movement of
the saw and guide by as much as possible, and move the wood up
and down on slats. the slats would work at 150, intervals.

if you then had the guides supported in hangers, you could move them
equally at each end with a kind of cam and dowels.

you don't need to worry about the saw and guide touching the wood really
as long as the wood can't move,and the saw can plunge it would work.

think this might be the way to go :roll:

paul

Now i get you paul , so mounting the guide on heavy duty bearing guided fully extending draw runners (which i happen to have) could be the way to go .
Barry i didnt get your mail mate .

No , Email is the same .
Paul , if using the clamp and guide the guide would need to touch the wood as it holds the locking mechanism .

Paul , the reason i was looking at the clamp and guide is because all the workings are there for us . The saw locks onto the guide and the guide locks onto the workpiece . There is no need to start making tracks and runners for the saw as it can be bought as one comleate unit for under £200 and is ready to go .
I thought it was a good route to take but maybe im being a bit blue peter about the design ?

well so far no sticky back plastic :lol: :lol:

will now retire whilst saner voices prevail,
and i can think of another solution. :roll:

There's a oldish Holz-Her on ebay, currently at £250ish at the moment.

Can't access ebay here - I saw it last night. Maybe it's another make, or mispelled or something? Try "panel saw".

Jake":2e9dnsjm said:
Can't access ebay here - I saw it last night. Maybe it's another make, or mispelled or something? Try "panel saw".

I think it's gone. I found it the other night using "panel saw." Just tried it now, and no sign of it. I vaguely remember the ad saying something about being advertised elsewhere and reserving right to remove at any time.

Brad

In case you're tempted, a few of points about industrial wall saws: they tend to be big, and not just wide, but tall as well, so if you don't have an 9ft high building to stick it in then look elsewhere - they are heavy, typically 3/4 tonnes and upwards - they require good dust extraction - they aren't easily dismantled for transport, so you'll need someone with a Hiab wagon to collect and deliver for you (preferably in as few pieces as possible) - and they all go out of whack when they're moved as their very structure makes the rather "bendy". I've been offered a couple in the past and been tempted, but the cost of transporting one (they take up a whole lorry, so no part loads) then getting them set-up actually exceeded the offer price! So a £250 wall saw might easily cost 3 to 4 times that to get it shifted and installed - still a bargain, but not as tempting as the initial offer price

Scrit

I think it would be a great idea to have the wall saw.

BUT

Firstly you have to have the transprort to get an 8x4 sheet to your workshop.

Then you have to hump it around to get it to the saw.

Although it would be handy, I tend to sort out what I require out of an 8x4 sheet and then pop of to the B&Q in cardiff gate. Select the size ply and get them to cut it with their wall saw. Check the sizes are correct and then I am usually able to put it in the car.

First four cuts are free and 50p per additional cut.

Maybe not the answer that you are looking for but there are one hell of a lot of trips before I am out of pocket compared to building one, plus there are smaller bits to carry.

Les

I think what im looking at building is a wall saw for a workshop that cant cope with a table saw with a sliding bed . Seems everyone is looking at shop notes 88 as the only way to do it .
Thanks Ed for dropping off the shop notes :D
I get all my boards cut for free but i could still do with a big table saw i just don't have the room with all the other machines .
I also think that all the mechanisms are already out there and working for us to use on a wall saw with a little modification for very little cost .

Back