Any French residents on the forum?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm moving to northern France in August. My wife is French, and badly wants to go back home. Works out OK for me, as my company has offices in Belgium about 45 min drive from where we're going.

My French is improving, but is just about non-existent for woodworking terms etc. Anyone know of good sources of info - the more esoteric terms don't tend to appear in online english-french dictionaries etc.

Is there a good French woodworking mag? Finally, any tips on recommended suppliers in France eg equivalents to Woodfit, Screwfix, etc.

Sorry, a lot of requests here, but any info would be a great help.

Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew

There are French ww mags but they're not up to much IMHO. Overseas subscription to Brit/Murrican is still a better bet.

As for suppliers, if there are any decent/cheap ones I haven't found them! Axminster are very good for shipping stuff (I ordered stuff Monday lunchtime and got it down here on the Swiss border Wed lunchtime this week which I thought wasn't bad).

The DIY sheds can sometimes have stuff that you wouldn't find in Brit ones. On the other hand they sometimes don't have stuff you would expect to find. It can be a bit hit & miss - depends on the chain.

I've picked up a few ww terms as I've gone along. A catalogue from HM Diffusion isn't a bad place to pick up terms and tools names. Bit pricey for picking up tools themselves though!!! I suppose the mags would be the best place to pick up terms but I bought them all one day a few years ago and thought they were pretty rubbish as I say.

Cheers

Scott,
thanks for the info. I probably won't be doing much woodworking for a while after the move anyway, so plenty of time to sort things out.

Drew

Back