First workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Drew,

The cladding is looking good; are you going to leave it to weather naturally;
and will you be making the doors yourself?
I glued up the first half of the 'front' doors for my build yesterday, and will do the second today.

Your guitar has a very 'clean and crisp' look about it. What finish did you use?

Regards.......Dick.

Cegidfa":vz0nke6n said:
Hello Drew,

The cladding is looking good; are you going to leave it to weather naturally;
and will you be making the doors yourself?
I glued up the first half of the 'front' doors for my build yesterday, and will do the second today.

Your guitar has a very 'clean and crisp' look about it. What finish did you use?

Regards.......Dick.

Hi Dick,
Yes, I'll leave the larch to weather naturally. Its naturally resistant, similar to red cedar, and should weather eventually to a silver-grey colour. I may stain the corner and window trim to match the windows and bargeboards though.

Originally I intended to make the doors myself, with cladding over a frame made from wall-framing leftovers. However, I'm not sure how to get a good airtight seal all round, so am having second thoughts. In any case, that won't be before next spring. I just want to get the cladding done and put temporary doors to make it weatherproof for the winter, as I can't afford to carry on fitting out the inside just now.

For the guitar, I went for the simplest finish for the first attempt. No pore-filler, 4 basecoats, then sanded and 2 topcoats of matte varnish, so no polishing required.

Drew

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but just thought I'd update since the build is almost done. Finally got the door fitted, so the outside is now completed.

Inside, I've insulated with wood-fibre panels and sheathed the walls with chipboard, and am in the process of doing the same for the roof. The floor has PVC DPM which wraps up the breezeblocks to meet the DPM I installed when building the frame, so the interior is completely proofed. Then a layer of foam insulation normally used for laminate flooring, and a floating floor of 18mm tongue & groove chipboard, which I'll varnish before fitting out. I'd have preferred more insulation on the floor, but I'm already limited on headroom.

I hope to finish roof insulation and boarding this week, then its electrics, benches etc.

Drew

Hi Drew,

I wouldn't worry about the 'resurrection'. My build hasn't moved on any either. There are just too many other things to do.
The 'Lutherie' den is looking good though. Those hinges look very like the ones used on uPVC doors - they have adjustment in all planes which is very handy.

Regards...Dick.... Who has just finished three days pick axing 20 square metres of ground to remove Rubus roots about 20mm thick at times....knackered. :evil:

Couple of photos to mark a workshop milestone. I finished the electrics and installed the first machine - the new FB510 bandsaw from Felder. I've set it up and done a few test cuts, but won't start anything serious until I have dust extraction installed.

Regards,
Drew

devonwoody":trrro1f6 said:
Your whole project displays quality, very nice.

Work bench your first project?
Thanks for the kind words. Yep, workbench is next, but will take a while due to work commitments. I'll be sure to post pics when its done though :)

Almost 6 months since my last post on the workshop thread, but this will probably be the last. I'm waiting for a couple more machines to be delivered (bench drill press and planer/thicknesser), and need to install PVC ducting for the cyclone instead of swapping a flexihose between machines, but its good to finally be making stuff in a workshop I built! (hammer)

This is my main bench area for hand-tool work

Secondary bench area, not yet fitted out completely. This will have the drill-press, sharpening station, and eventually a small vacuum frame-press (shop-built), which greatly enhances gluing braces to guitar tops and backs. I also put my pattern-makers vice here, as it tends to be a magnet for guitar neck/headstock etc, so I kept it off my main bench.

Sanding corner, strategically next to the Clearvue cyclone. Jet edge sander and Leman twin-drum thickness sander.

Part of my wood stash. This is dry, acclimatised and ready to use. I have a dehumidifier keeping the workshop around 45% relative humidity. Only problem is that it generates heat as a byproduct, and I built the workshop very well insulated to keep noise pollution down for the neighbours. So, with the dehumidifier pumping out warm air, a big machine+cyclone running, it quickly gets hot in there even in winter. I think a small AC is in the works... The planer/thicknesser will sit in this area.

The rest of the wood stash in the roofspace. This is not so easily accessible, but I use it for wood which needs a few years before being stable enough to build with.

So, that's my guitar-building workshop, hope at least some of you found it of interest :)

Cheers, Drew

Back