Any Bosch GST 135 Jigsaw owners (Advice needed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Approximately 10 months ago I purchased a new Bosch GST 135 jigsaw. Eager to try it out the following day, I proceeded to cut some 18mm MDF using a variety of Bosch blades, including T111C (Basic for wood),
T101B (Clean for wood), T144DP (Precision for wood) and T301CDF (Bi Metal-Clean for Hard Wood). I made the cuts with and without the use of a straight edge to guide the saw and at all the various pendulum settings. I also enabled Precision Control.
I was very impressed with the power of the machine and the saw cut through the MDF like a knife through warm butter. I then held a small, accurate engineers square against the cut wood and was a little disappointed to see that the cut edges weren't perfectly square. The out of squareness seemed to fluctuate throughout the length of the cut. In places the cut was pretty square and in others it was out by several degrees. I tried the same test on some 2" pine and received the same variable results, with blade deflection much more pronounced.
I'm not one to blame his tools and my thoughts were that it's obviously user error. I hadn't had much, if any, experience with jigsaws and I assumed that my technique would improve with time and practise and I would be able to produce square cuts.
It's now 10 months on and I certainly now feel that I've used the jigsaw enough to be able to eliminate user error. I had a word with a Bosch employee at one of the tool shows and his advice was not to use the tool against a straight edge (even though it advises this in the instruction manual). I once again did some further 'freehand' test cutting and still obtained variable results. I'm fully aware that if you push a jigsaw through a cut, this can cause blade deflection so I've always been extremely careful never to do this. My blades are brand new and sharp and the only forward momentum used is allowing the blade to pull itself through the cut. I've checked and double checked that the baseplate is dead square to the blade and securely fastened.
Whilst I can live with 18mm deep cuts being out a degree or two. On two inch wood it might be as much as 5 or 6 degrees, which can be a real nuisance.

Am I expecting too much from the saw or do you think I should try and get the problem put right (the saw is registered for a three year warranty), assuming it is a problem and not just the way it's supposed to be?

I'd be interested in hearing from other Bosch 135 owners on how satisfied, or unsatisfied, you are with the squareness of cut from your machine.

Thank you.

I had a different jigsaw that did this all the time - turned out to be the pendulum settings, i cant remember which setting but it didn't like it. Could be worth trying it on different settings.....

I've tried all the different settings. It didn't seem to make much difference.

If you want straight square cuts - use a circular saw. While you may get a decent cut with a new jigsaw blade, after a few cuts the 'precision' will be gone till you use another new blade. I only use a jigsaw for none straight cuts and cut outs in worktops. When i was on kitchens, a new blade was used on every sink cut out. It was then relegated to rough cutting only. :)

He's definitely right about not going against a straight edge. Jigsaws don't like doing that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Funny, I bought. A gst135 just as they were going out of product ion, seemed like a good deal as it came with 50odd blades for 120quid, bargain me thinks.

I've used mine a few times and even on 18mm mdf I get terrible results as soon as I deviate from the straight ahead. I wonder if it's the bosch blades, they could be rubbish as they came free with it, but are packed the same as the normal ones. I know it's not me as I can get great cuts with the Makita I have and use for rough work. I bought the gst to be my fine saw.

I had a play with a festool carved and was impressed, I might try some festool blades instead before I ditch it!

I would like to chip in that jigsaws are only for rough cuts and I would expect this poor a cut (not smooth either) - just my two-penneth

Forgot to say I do have a few Bosch jigsaw s and a festool one. I used a festool Trion blade in a Bosch the other day and everything was dead square on 4x2 cuts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have no problem getting straight cuts with Bosch blades in my cordless Makita. I would say the problem is a combination of a worn blade, wrong pendulum setting and you may be trying to cut too quick. All of these can cause blade flex.

My Bosch is about 18yrs old and after many tons of firewood (besides anything else) cuts near as a damn straight and square. I have, however, cleaned and oiled it regularly and used hundreds of blades in that time which probably makes the difference.

Thanks all for your input. Perhaps I was just expecting too much from the saw. The online promotional videos appeared to achieve precise and square cuts even over 100mm in depth, hence the reason I thought that it would be very straightforward to achieve the same level of precision, not that I would ever be interested in cutting to such a depth with a jigsaw.

I would say the problem is a combination of a worn blade, wrong pendulum setting and you may be trying to cut too quick. All of these can cause blade flex.

As stated in my post, the blades were new, all pendulum settings were tried and the jigsaw wasn't pushed through the cut

Be good to hear from any other Bosch 135 users on their experience with the jigsaw.

Back