Antique pine finish.. how ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have almost completed my latest project, a sideboard in pine. (pictures to come soon in the project section !)
It is a copy of a sideboard i owned , which is a beautiful antique pine finish (i do beleive it matured that way).
The question is, how do i achieve such a finish on the newer version ?

I am after something closer to brown than to honey, something that doesnt look like it's out of the argos catalogue...
I have used the coltron antique pine dye before, and I was tempted to use it again...unless there is a better alternative ?

Depends a bit on the how dark of a brownisch. Direct sunlight does a fair bit of darkening in a failrly short amount of time. How much it darkens depends a bit on the species of pine. If not in a hury I would have it sit in direct sunlight for a while before dying it and applying shellac or varnish.

You can always go ahead with dying it but keep in mind it might get considerably darker also with pine.

tnimble":sr5zg6bu said:
Depends a bit on the how dark of a brownisch. Direct sunlight does a fair bit of darkening in a failrly short amount of time. How much it darkens depends a bit on the species of pine. If not in a hury I would have it sit in direct sunlight for a while before dying it and applying shellac or varnish.

You can always go ahead with dying it but keep in mind it might get considerably darker also with pine.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am not after a gloss finish though, so it will not get the shellac or varnish treatment. a coat of wax maybe..

I've used Colron Light Oak, applied very dry using a cloth, adding more stain as you go to obtain a patch free antique pine look. The mistake with Pine is to apply the stain too heavily.

You've got to try an avoid splodges when you first load the rag and bring it in to contact with the wood. I usually rub the rag together after apply the dye and then wipe it across a scrap piece of wood before using it.

matt":2eyhlegr said:
I've used Colron Light Oak, applied very dry using a cloth, adding more stain as you go to obtain a patch free antique pine look. The mistake with Pine is to apply the stain too heavily.

You've got to try an avoid splodges when you first load the rag and bring it in to contact with the wood. I usually rub the rag together after apply the dye and then wipe it across a scrap piece of wood before using it.

Top tip.. i have been pretty careless in the past. shame to ruin all this work with a dodgy finish !

Back