Another wee disappointment from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Took a wee notion for a TS55 with 2 rails on offer (?????) from Axy. Tried to order last Sunday online but was informed item was"out of stock but available for del. within 1 week"
Registered to be informed when stock arrives.
Emailed today to be told.....item expected from maker before end of month but can't confirm date ????? but a week ago it would be delivered within 1 week. This type of business is shabby.
In 40 years of business I have never advertised for sale items I don't have/ hold/ stock.
To be honest I need the saw like a hole in the head, but took a wee notion to buy one.
Now I have........................elsewhere !!!

skronk":2lhir8xy said:
Hi all,

Took a wee notion for a TS55 with 2 rails on offer (?????) from Axy. Tried to order last Sunday online but was informed item was"out of stock but available for del. within 1 week"
Emailed today to be told.....item expected from maker before end of month but can't confirm date ????? but a week ago it would be delivered within 1 week. This type of business is shabby.
In 40 years of business I have never advertised for sale items I don't have/ hold/ stock.
To be honest I need the saw like a hole in the head, but took a wee notion to buy one.
I had a similar experience with axminster, but its the website thats at fault, not the business itself. I wanted dust extraction tubing, and it said in stock, out of stock when I ordered. I finally emailed the basingstoke store direct, and they had it all ready for me when I called in. the problem is in which store has which parts. They dont seem to have the website together on what is where. Email or phone any store, and i have always been completely happy with them. The home shop even sent me round the corner to their huge warehouse when I wanted three adaptor cones and there was only one in the shop itself.

sunnybob":1wsztc7k said:
skronk":1wsztc7k said:
Hi all,

I had a similar experience with axminster, but its the website thats at fault, not the business itself. I wanted dust extraction tubing, and it said in stock, out of stock when I ordered. I finally emailed the basingstoke store direct, and they had it all ready for me when I called in. the problem is in which store has which parts. They dont seem to have the website together on what is where. Email or phone any store, and i have always been completely happy with them. The home shop even sent me round the corner to their huge warehouse when I wanted three adaptor cones and there was only one in the shop itself.

Living where I do, store collection is not an option I'm afraid. My annoyance is in the totally misleading advert...you cannot sell what you don't have.
Oh wait........their stores have it. Send it from one of them !!!!!!

Why have 3 stores with stock, a warehouse with none, and telling the customer they are waiting for stock !!
Ship it from a store who holds it.

You have done just as I would have and that's taken you money elsewhere, its the only way companies will change,
you need something, they don't have it, you find someone who does, and you give them the money to reinvest in stock for the next man,
not rocket science
Dave :D

I had the same feeling earlier this year. I ordered from nuts&bolts, they were the cheapest at that time. After placing the order I was told that it was out of stock. The problem at that time, and possibly may still be, was that Festool were unable to supply stock.

If this is the case then I sympathise with Axminister, however, they should ensure that the website is up to date.

That said, when the saw did arrive it made up for the wait :)

skronk":2576xtn5 said:
sunnybob":2576xtn5 said:
skronk":2576xtn5 said:
Hi all,

Living where I do, store collection is not an option I'm afraid. My annoyance is in the totally misleading advert...you cannot sell what you don't have.
Oh wait........their stores have it. Send it from one of them !!!!!!

Why have 3 stores with stock, a warehouse with none, and telling the customer they are waiting for stock !!
Ship it from a store who holds it.

Well they are waiting for stock. Its not a lie. Buying from the online direct warehouse isn't the others stores stock. I understand your frustration but 'shop stock' is exactly that.

I waited two weeks more for an item over xmas. I didn't need it yesterday, but it was cheaper so I sucked-it-up.

Lets face it no store is perfect and most online sellers have small print covering themselves about not-in-stock items - I've had my Axi issues, though.

Well they are waiting for stock. Its not a lie. Buying from the online direct warehouse isn't the others stores stock. I understand your frustration but 'shop stock' is exactly that.

I waited two weeks more for an item over xmas. I didn't need it yesterday, but it was cheaper so I sucked-it-up.

Lets face it no store is perfect and most online sellers have small print covering themselves about not-in-stock items - I've had my Axi issues, though.[/quote]

They do have stock. In their stores on shelves. Not selling. I have payment, why not take it ?

Do they not care about cash flow.......life blood of any business ??????

skronk":1zt82jvy said:

Lets face it no store is perfect and most online sellers have small print covering themselves about not-in-stock items - I've had my Axi issues, though.

They do have stock. In their stores on shelves. Not selling. I have payment, why not take it ?

Do they not care about cash flow.......life blood of any business ??????[/quote]

-------------------

You don't need to shout and I'm not the enemy. Its simple to understand. The stock thats in Axminsters Devon warehouse isn't their shop stock. Thats the shops. Its why its a shop and in stock, there...

If everyone started requesting a nut & bolt here and a rubberband there to be shipped when Devon's warehouse didn't have one it'd be a logistic nightmare across the amount of products they sell.

If I buy a Ford spare the local spares dept is likely to order a part in for me to collect - why can't they ship it direct to me?.... because its not how they do it!

If you have problems with Axi advertising stock they do not hold you should try rutlands, they're far worse been on their waiting list for an item for over three months item still on their site but still no stock

iNewbie":2c7pmzl0 said:
skronk":2c7pmzl0 said:

Do they not care about cash flow.......life blood of any business ??????

-------------------

You don't need to shout and I'm not the enemy. Its simple to understand. The stock thats in Axminsters Devon warehouse isn't their shop stock. Thats the shops. Its why its a shop and in stock, there...

If everyone started requesting a nut & bolt here and a rubberband there to be shipped when Devon's warehouse didn't have one it'd be a logistic nightmare across the amount of products they sell.

If I buy a Ford spare the local spares dept is likely to order a part in for me to collect - why can't they ship it direct to me?.... because its not how they do it![/quote]

Sorry about shout.....
But where I live I can actually get spares from Vauxhall directly shipped to me through local dealer 125 miles away. Why don't Axy through their stores with stock sitting....tonight, and maybe tomorrow on the shelves do the same.
Stock on shelves don't make money.

Example......
Axy head office email nearest branch to purchaser, name and address supplied and postage made.
Happy customer, happy Axy (profit made), the way to go.

skronk":3w1n5tkg said:
Sorry about shout.....
But where I live I can actually get spares from Vauxhall directly shipped to me through local dealer 125 miles away. Why don't Axy through their stores with stock sitting....tonight, and maybe tomorrow on the shelves do the same.
Stock on shelves don't make money.

Example......
Axy head office email nearest branch to purchaser, name and address supplied and postage made.
Happy customer, happy Axy (profit made), the way to go.

This is a question you may want to ask their MD.

I guess if you're lucky enough to live on the Isle of Skye then most retailers are internet retailers.

I feel a bit more kindly towards Axminster because at least with them I've a chance to go to one of their stores and look and hold something before buying it. I attach some value to that, but unfortunately it's getting increasingly rare.

Axminster are an odd one, I’m glad they are there but they are woefully let down by their website and in my opinion their accountants.

The website is not up to date in terms of stock and sometimes I've even ordered stock items to be told it’s not actually in.

Their pricing structure is getting ridiculous as well, every January the price hikes are just not realistic. I've seen increases typically over 50% on some items in the past, if this continues they will turn into an online window shopping experience for most of us. I suspect next January is going to be a killer as someone is going to have to pay for the recent new store. I can’t help feel that their growth is unsustainable and will end badly.

That said, they are useful sometimes and I’d rather have more options available even if they aren't the best at times. Also, to be fair, like most businesses, get hold a real person at the end of a phone or in the store they couldn't be more helpful.

No shop in particular, but I have learned through experience that if I want to buy something online that is advertised on the shop's website, I actually phone them up and ask if it's in stock and ready for dispatch. Sometimes it is so I buy, sometimes it's not, so I leave it alone.
My reason being, in the past I have ordered and paid for an item, then as soon as my money is taken, I have received a confirmation of my order telling me the item concerned is out of stock and is on back-order......
This is MOST infuriating, especially if you need the item ASAP. I realise that shops can't update their website hourly but I don't know what they can do? Some shops have a red and green indicator which tells anyone looking if the item is in stock or not, but a lot don't. So nowadays I always phone them first and ask.....it saves my blood pressure busting my skull open..... 8) :D :D

For what it's worth: pretty much no companies that have brick-and-mortar shops and also an Internet online shop will sell you stock from their brick-and-mortar shops through their web shop - with the exception of for collection at the shop in question.

The reason for this is that most of these companies - and I have little doubt Axminster is included - send out hundreds if not thousands of packages every day, which means special contracts with couriers to pick up the parcels on a regular basis and for larger businesses (and those selling heavy equipment, like Axi) purpose-built loading bays and so on. If they started selling their shop stock for web orders when their main warehouse was out, they would have to add these facilities and arrange these contracts with couriers for each of their shops as well, which would add cost which would ultimately be borne by the customer on the ticket price of everything they sell.

Not to mention that in a lot of cases, shops are set up in locations with more expensive land, so it's not necessarily feasible to add on a shipping hub as well as all the storage and delivery and car parking and so on that they already need. Not to mention that if they sold you an item from one of their shops and took your money and then when they went to get it they found someone had half-inched it and they couldn't supply it, then you'd be really angry.

Shops are set up to take in deliveries and sell them through the shop, not to ship stuff out. It's just a fact of life for everything other than really small businesses, unfortunately.

custard":1lkt9wx7 said:
I guess if you're lucky enough to live on the Isle of Skye then most retailers are internet retailers.

I feel a bit more kindly towards Axminster because at least with them I've a chance to go to one of their stores and look and hold something before buying it. I attach some value to that, but unfortunately it's getting increasingly rare.
Yes Custard, fortunate indeed to be living the good life......well, not including the weather, however price to be paid is with deliveries.
Bought recently.....
Makita impact drill DTD 146, 3.0amp battery, fast charger, from just outside Glasgow postage £5.75. Sore but price was really keen (£149 complete inc.PP)
2x featherboards Axy £10 postage £1 =D>
2x T-Track Axy £15 postage...... free as it was ordered with the above. Dispatched later as "out of stock" (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)
Festool TS55 with rail £338 from Yeovil free PP.

Sometimes I am told "we do not deliver overseas" but they will deliver to Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Isle of Dogs, I know...I have tried postcode.!!!! Yet Royal Mail will deliver anywhere in UK between 2 points for same price ??????
However, my point is, honesty in your stockholding to me is everything. I do not see many more orders from me to Axminster.
As for Rutlands........yer having a laugh ??????? No chance.

Not a SNP supporter, but treatment like this drives the masses.

JakeS":wc3wpgi0 said:
For what it's worth: pretty much no companies that have brick-and-mortar shops and also an Internet online shop will sell you stock from their brick-and-mortar shops through their web shop - with the exception of for collection at the shop in question.

The reason for this is that most of these companies - and I have little doubt Axminster is included - send out hundreds if not thousands of packages every day, which means special contracts with couriers to pick up the parcels on a regular basis and for larger businesses (and those selling heavy equipment, like Axi) purpose-built loading bays and so on. If they started selling their shop stock for web orders when their main warehouse was out, they would have to add these facilities and arrange these contracts with couriers for each of their shops as well, which would add cost which would ultimately be borne by the customer on the ticket price of everything they sell.

Not to mention that in a lot of cases, shops are set up in locations with more expensive land, so it's not necessarily feasible to add on a shipping hub as well as all the storage and delivery and car parking and so on that they already need. Not to mention that if they sold you an item from one of their shops and took your money and then when they went to get it they found someone had half-inched it and they couldn't supply it, then you'd be really angry.

Shops are set up to take in deliveries and sell them through the shop, not to ship stuff out. It's just a fact of life for everything other than really small businesses, unfortunately.

The fact still remains that I, and how many others have bought elsewhere at £400+. All that cash from the bottom line.
I am sorry, but it beggars belief. Your store holds stock but your warehouse does not, so you are out of stock.
Bought elsewhere.
FFS Axminster.....get real.

Latest posts

Back