Another Use For A Sewing Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
While searching the internet, I came across this adaptation of a sewing machine into a marquetry cutting engine. I thought it might interest the more mechanically inclined amongst us.

The Amazing Cutting Engine

Take a look at the gallery on that website too - there's some astounding marquetry to goggle over.

Gill

Some very nice marquetry examples there Gill. How does the adaptation of a sewing machine better the use of a scroll saw? As far as I can tell you still guide the sample through a blade so I am not really sure of the purpose of it? I haven't done any marquetry, but do scrollsaw blades not cut veneers well?

Steve.

I've never enjoyed much success cutting marquetry with a scroll saw because the machines are just too aggressive. That said, other people seem to manage okay, so perhaps it's just me :oops: .

I find the veneers are too fragile to withstand a scroll saw and have to be mounted on a piece of waste wood first. It's not always easy to remove them later. There's also the difficulty of making an entry hole for the jewellers' blades which have to be used. The holes have to be so tiny that they're not visible when the piece is assembled.

This 'engine' appeals to me because it doesn't carry those hazards.

Gill

That's a nice find Gill. It's always good to see clever ideas that actually work !

I wonder how easy it would be to make one. According to the website, this is 'Mark 6', so it can't be that easy.

I might write and ask.

Gill

Gill":2rddw597 said:
I wonder how easy it would be to make one. According to the website, this is 'Mark 6', so it can't be that easy.

I might write and ask.

Gill

That's so funny. I can just imagine it Gill.......Move over scroll saws, I have a load of sewing machines coming LOL ...
funnyvw3.gif
funnyvw3.gif

Don't put me off, Alan... if I get a sewing machine, I'll have to get rid of one of my saws to accommodate it. I'd have thought you'd be rather in favour of that ;) :p :D !

Gill

Gill":10v6187i said:
Don't put me off, Alan... if I get a sewing machine, I'll have to get rid of one of my saws to accommodate it. I'd have thought you'd be rather in favour of that ;) :p :D !

Gill

You tease Gill !
Now then, where was it you wrote about giving up a saw ?
Oh yes.........

Gill":10v6187i said:
I'm sure I could spare a Diamond if someone was to make me a decent offer, but the rest of my saws are staying where they are.
Gill

Been down the Diamond road so it's your 'Yellow beauty' I'd like to get my hands on ! :wink:
Looks like I'll have to import one from the US as mine is showing signs of general wear.

Back