Another shed thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I am planning to build a workshop when I move to my new property quite soon and have been using the threads on workshop design for ideas.
I have seen the thread on building a workshop mikes way which looks as good a way as any but I have also been thinking of a SIPS structure .

The size will likely be 7.5 by 4 metres internally to get the maximum allowed without planning and more than 1 metre inside the boundary about 1.5 to the edge of the roof.
I think a concrete base will be best but should I insulate the slab ?

Any advice on the pros and cons of SIPS welcome.

Also I am thinking of a single pitch roof from 2.5 metres at the front falling to about 2 metres at the rear, mostly for simplicity as I will be doing it pretty much on my own. I realise that is not much pitch for shingles so I have been thinking of an insulated panel roof.

see here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-Insulat ... 3a867cca16

and here http://www.rollaclad.com/insulated-box- ... heets.html

There seems to be a lot second hand or reclaimed about.

I am wondering if anyone has used this type of roofing ? will it support itself over a long distance ? What about guttering and trimming the ends. can I use those lightweight osb joists.?

I only want to build this once so it has to be right. I will post a very vague sketchup picture soon. And will do revisions as I plan more detailed.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

Ollie

I think I would insulate above the slab and double board as per Steve's thread. The reason is that workshops are intermittently heated and you dont want to be warming up the concrete each time, so I feel it would be better kept out of the warm side.

SIPS are very good but construction is quite different from conventional systems. Particular attention needs to be paid to avoiding air gaps and thermal bridging to maximise performance. There are SIPS for sale which dont have certification so they cant be used for projects that are building regs compliant, but would be ideal for a workshop or garden studio.

seconds and co are one source -they now have another website for SIPS, although I cant remember what it is!

Here is a totally basic picture to start with.
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of.

shed1.jpg

I plan to use second hand or at least cheap double glazed windows and doors so will build around the sizes I can get hold of. Hopefully a nice wide pair of french doors and assorted windows.

Also maybe something in the roof too.

Ollie

Back