Another ripoff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered 4 gross of Flying Dutchman blades from the Wooden Teddy Bear Company nearly two weeks ago and the other day I was thinking that they were taking longer than normal to get here and this moring I got to see why. When the postman dropped the mail through the letter box there was a card stating that I had a package waiting for me at the sorting office and I would have to pay £27-16 to get them. I really do feel this is being ripped off. The customes have charged me import duty on the blades, they have also charged me £10 for the privilege of opening my package and the post office have charged me £1 for getting the package from the rack to the counter. The cost of the blades are comparable to blades you would buy in the UK but sadly not available from the UK. In all the years I have been buying blades from America this is the first time I have ever been stung.

You may have been lucky not to have been charged import duty before. I think it is a question of you MAY get caught with duty and it is not very fair for these smaller items. Was it a large order, cost wise?

Possibly others would be prepared to split the load with you to reduce the overall cost and save waiting for orders themselves? Which blades are they?

Hi Alex. I have just got back from the sorting office. I was very fortunate that the chap I spoke to was very well informed on the subject and as i was the only customer gave me some details on how to avoid this sort of scam. He said that when I place my next order to ask the supplier to put in the box on the posting label, value under $20. I can't remember now exactly how much I paid but I think it was round about £80 plus the carriage, which in dollars is $12, so quite camparable with UK postal charges.

Personally I'd be wary of that - if you're importing from the US then you're asking the supplier to commit a felony there, and by doing so you're committing a criminal offence here.
As I recall the maximum penalty is 2 years in prison. You're fairly unlikely to get caught, but to me the risk isn't worth it. Seems drastic for £30. Better, surely, to factor in the importation costs when you order.

Geoff, £80 is about $125 US Dollars. Suggest you dont get your holiday money from the same place again. lol Or was $12 just the shipping cost

Alexam":38qx8ml3 said:
Geoff, £80 is about $125 US Dollars. Suggest you dont get your holiday money from the same place again. lol
I think he meant £80 plus the carriage and the carriage was about $12

Sporky McGuffin":3eu79qgq said:
Personally I'd be wary of that - if you're importing from the US then you're asking the supplier to commit a felony there, and by doing so you're committing a criminal offence here.
As I recall the maximum penalty is 2 years in prison. You're fairly unlikely to get caught, but to me the risk isn't worth it. Seems drastic for £30. Better, surely, to factor in the importation costs when you order.
I wouldn't do it either, it's not scam avoidance, it's tax evasion. It's your responsibility to ensure the sender declared it properly too.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

Forgetting the handling charges, surely it is to be expected that the items bought outside the EU will be subject to the equivalent of 20% VAT at least.

The fact that such items have got through in the past just points to the inefficiency of the customs control system.

A UK importer and retail distributor of the product would have to include such costs in their operating costs.

Annoying I know, but it's only levelling the playing field for British retailers and trying to stem some of the tax avoidance.

CHJ":m8kql1nz said:
Forgetting the handling charges, surely it is to be expected that the items bought outside the EU will be subject to the equivalent of 20% VAT at least.

The fact that such items have got through in the past just points to the inefficiency of the customs control system.

A UK importer and retail distributor of the product would have to include such costs in their operating costs.

Annoying I know, but it's only levelling the playing field for British retailers and trying to stem some of the tax avoidance.

+1

Got to agree with everyone here. This look cheaper in the US sometimes with postage costs. But all who ship internationally warn about import duty. Take that into account when ordering and be prepared to pay it. Certainly no scam here other than the guy giving terrible advice at the sorting office. Sure his manager would be appalled to hear he is giving out this sort of advice.

Why not buy 1 gross for $20 instead of 4 gross for $80, and pay no import tax at all, all legal like?
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back