Another New Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil. I am also in the planing stage of a workshop.

I have noticed that everyone is putting there electrics within the walls. Would there be any problems if I put my electrics in conduit on the surface of the walls? My thinking is ease of taking down for moving, and maintenance.

I have also noticed the quantity of references to Part "P". This is what is said on a DIY web site:
Work which can be carried out by a non-certified individual without notification consists of:

Replacement of fittings such as sockets, switches and light fittings.
Replacement of the cable for a single circuit where it has been damaged.
Work that is not in the bathroom or kitchen and consists of:
Adding additional lighting, light fittings and switches, to an existing circuit.
Adding additional sockets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial main.
Installing additional earth bonding.
All this is conditional upon the use of suitable cable and fittings for the application, that the circuit protective measures are unaffected and suitable for protecting the new circuit, and that all work complies with all other appropriate regulations.

My understanding is, because you are not wiring a bathroom or kitchen, and you are adding additional lighting and sockets using suitable cable for those applications, there is no reason to notify anybody.

Good luck with your build.

Your understanding is not correct all the above exceptions are allowed because the design work has been done and safety equipment specified and is in place you are repairing it like for like or doing minor extensions which will be protected.
Wet areas and out side are special cases as they are the most dangerous
and require extra safety .The power in a workshop could have a lawn mower connected so thats why its a special case also.
No problem with conduit best to use individual wires for ease of running.

Thanks OLD. It goes to show that one can interpret something any way they wish, unless it has been explained or described properly. Something I an not good at. :oops:

Gary,

I can't really comment on yere Part P as we don't have the same over here. It would be quite easy to do a surface installation though. All you need is 2 x 2 trunking around the ceiling and conduit drops to you switches and sockets. Best of luck with it.

Neil

I would strongly advise against it. If you have cast iron tools you will have a constant battle 6 months of the year with rust. Because they are metal they sweat like hell.

Neil

Latest posts

Back