Another mystery tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this tool up in a second hand shop while on holidays, not sure what it is but seemed well made and quite durable, a knurling tool of some kind was my first guess? Maybe a leather workers tool? Another guess is that it is a tool used by a stained glass worker for shaping lead glazing strip. Anyone seen anything similar? The knurled wheel is slightly concave in cross section, if that helps!

20210713_130019.jpg

Attachments

• 20210713_130007.jpg
    20210713_130007.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 20
I think it might be a tool used by bookbinders for gold blocking/tooling on the spines of books - I can vaguely remember the bookbinder chap at the printers where I started work having similar tools with different patterns on the wheels - the thin gold leaf was postioned on the book spine and the tool, warmed slightly, rolled across to imprint the gold onto the book (the rest of the gold leaf sheet then cleaned off)

Googling "bookbinding gold blocking tools" and selecting Images - brings up a number of gold blocking tools, some just letters or a pattern, some as wheels.

Thanks Robgul, I like that suggestion. I neglected to mention that there is a slight "shoulder" on the shank of the tool, which makes me wonder if it was designed to be used on a toolrest, maybe in a lathe?

Thanks Robgul, I like that suggestion. I neglected to mention that there is a slight "shoulder" on the shank of the tool, which makes me wonder if it was designed to be used on a toolrest, maybe in a lathe?

The tool, if used for the purpose I suggest, would be kept on a "rest" as it was heated (normally a gas flame) before being applied to the book's spine or cover . . . the wheel etc looks too delicate to me to be used on a lathe.

EDIT UPDATE: See at about 1:23 he used an imprinted wheel with a pattern - obviously all sorts of patterns are possible with different wheels. Your wheel with a slightly concave wheel could be for use on the raised stitching on the spine of the book (see further on in the video - the raised stitching is called "kettle stitching")

AND another one - look at the tools stored on the wall behind him

Last edited:
It's a tool used for applying decorative edging on books and similar items. You can get them in all sorts of different patterns. This is a basic one, possibly homemade from an engineering knurling wheel.

1626245634154.png

EDIT: post clashed with Rorschach

the head appears to be a rope knurl but I have never seen one with a handle, they have always been machine mounted. a hand knurl, as used by jewelers and goldsmiths is a U shaped clamp type thing to support the ring.
the amount of force required to knurl something is pretty high, I'm not sure you could do it with hand pressure.

I do wonder if it's something like a potters or leather work embossing tool for applying a knurl like finish, much like the above bookbinders tool.

modern version

https://www.scarva.com/en/gb/Xiem-T...GKgGuKd_I4cY3_1YmXFn2mGusfRmCXWRoC4qMQAvD_BwE
less than modern version
9-Leather-Working-Embossing-Wheel-Carriage-Old-Tool.jpg

EDIT: post clashed with Rorschach

the head appears to be a rope knurl but I have never seen one with a handle, they have always been machine mounted. a hand knurl, as used by jewelers and goldsmiths is a U shaped clamp type thing to support the ring.
the amount of force required to knurl something is pretty high, I'm not sure you could do it with hand pressure.

I do wonder if it's something like a potters or leather work embossing tool for applying a knurl like finish, much like the above bookbinders tool.

modern version

https://www.scarva.com/en/gb/Xiem-T...GKgGuKd_I4cY3_1YmXFn2mGusfRmCXWRoC4qMQAvD_BwE
less than modern version
9-Leather-Working-Embossing-Wheel-Carriage-Old-Tool.jpg

Not sure how the concave wheel surface on the OP's picture would work with clay etc? - I sent the pic to a chap I know that dabbles in old printing stuff and bookbinding and, unprompted, he identified it as tool for tooling/gold blocking on the raised spine stitching of leather (and other materials, e.g. Buckram) bound books.

I have never seen or used this kind of tool on a lathe you would not get sufficient presher for it to work by hand that have to be in the tool post.

Not sure how the concave wheel surface on the OP's picture would work with clay etc? - I sent the pic to a chap I know that dabbles in old printing stuff and bookbinding and, unprompted, he identified it as tool for tooling/gold blocking on the raised spine stitching of leather (and other materials, e.g. Buckram) bound books.

I think this is a case of almost identical tools working in different mediums. I agree that it is a tool for a book binder is a correct answer, but also that it would be used by leather workers for an almost identical purpose and possibly in ornate pottery, again, for a very similar purpose.

this is a hand knurling tool.
99138d1392026753-hand-knurling-info-wanted-horia-knurler.jpg

but whilst I was looking for this, I found this too.

253958d1532453587-rope-knurling-how-were-knurling-wheels-made-dsc01177.jpg

over on practical machinest. "Rope Knurling"- How were the knurling wheels made ?

So stand a little bit corrected, there are hand held knurling tools for use in soft materials on a lathe. not that this is what you have, which I agree with others as previously stated.

this is a hand knurling tool.
99138d1392026753-hand-knurling-info-wanted-horia-knurler.jpg

but whilst I was looking for this, I found this too.

253958d1532453587-rope-knurling-how-were-knurling-wheels-made-dsc01177.jpg

over on practical machinest. "Rope Knurling"- How were the knurling wheels made ?

So stand a little bit corrected, there are hand held knurling tools for use in soft materials on a lathe. not that this is what you have, which I agree with others as previously stated.
I started to wonder how knurling was done on a rope! Then I clicked the link - Hah! all is clear. DUH!

Latest posts

Back