Mystery tool- what is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

I took a punt and purchased a box of second hand junk. In amongst the rusty metal I did find some decent old tools but I am most interested in this item. It was very rusty, the shaft was bent in a "U" shape and the handle was mushroomed from hammering. I cleaned it up, removed the rust and I'm very curious as to what it might be. It looks like a screwdriver but the shaft/ blade is mounted off-centre (eccentrically) and the finish to the handle is a bit rough- leading me to think it's a shop-made item. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC01526.JPG
    DSC01526.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC01527.JPG
    DSC01527.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC01528.JPG
    DSC01528.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC01529.JPG
    DSC01529.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 150
Could it be a 'screwdriver' made in a school by a pupil in metalwork?
I'd tend to agree with this, hard to say without seeing it in the flesh, but I can see no reason for an offset handle. it would probably be awkard to use, so religated to use as a pry bar / rough chisel / paint can opener etc, hence the mushrooming

It does look very like one of the standard school metalwork from the early 70’s. I made one like it. It was my first heat treating project. I had it for many years until my tool box got stolen.

Made one in metalwork in early 70's. Lathe work for the handle, Forge work for the blade, then heat hardened. We drilled the hole in the handle using a drill in the tailstock? so it was central but it looks like this was done in the drill press and a bit out. Went on to do A level metalwork and plan was to become a Metalwork and Maths teacher. Went to Uni to study Accountancy?? Left after one year

I agree with all of the above. As a teacher who started teaching in 1975 I recognise the product. I made one too but the handle was knurled. There's a chance that the pupil used a 4 jaw chuck rather than a 3 jaw, self-centering and didn't quite get the bar in the middle. Since it's been cleaned up the tempering colours would have gone but it would be interesting to know if is was hardened and tempered.

That was the introduction to hardening and tempering. The junior hacksaw was the introduction to casting. (at least in the school I was in), Both involved lathe work. Handle for the screwdriver and the nut for the hacksaw

I made one of those back in 1978-79 as well as a Toolmakers clamp, still use the clamp but have no idea where the screwdriver is.

Probly mushroomed by smelting with club hammer to shock a rusted screw loose. Sort of impact wrench minus the rotation. Does help sometimes.

..........it may be a tool where we are the "Work"

The fact that it is all metal suggests to me that it has a medical provenance. You'd be amazed at some of the kit used in heavy surgery.

Back