Another Kitchen table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Moving rather slowly on this but progress has been made:-

The undercarriage is supposed to look something like this

undercarriage.jpg

I used a jig I made up for routing ellipses to cut out a master template for building the laminating jig
IMG_0175.jpg

And after gluing and screwing 5 layers of these together, adding some screw clamps - I have this robot hedgehog - to be seen in the next episode of Dr. Who perhaps? :)

IMG_0189.jpg

Chris - I saw this method of using threaded bar to laminate in an early edition of F&C, looks a useful way of pulling stuff round a former without needing a huge amount of cramps - Rob

Rob,
I have not used the threaded bar approach before -I am copying it from Tage Frid's book. I have used clamps before on this sort of thing but the legs are 3 inches wide and I am concerned that I won't get enough pressure across the laminations if I rely on a single clamp pressing in the middle. I could use two clamps (one from each side but then I would need thirty of them and the time to apply them becomes excessive - as it does I think, if I fiddled around with a simple pressure pad under each clamp - as it is I rather rely on SWMBO lending a hand (not for nothing do I call her Gluegirl - heck I even bought her a special long apron for the purpose :wink:

looks good Chris. Do you need to steam the wood before bending? Or am I missing the point?

PS if you need a hand with anything just shout, I can nip over most afternoons or weekends.

Tom,
Many thanks - I might just give you a shout. I won't need to steam anything as I am using thin (basically veneer) strips that will individually bend easily. I probably wont be able to do a leg all at once as I am making them 1 3/4 inches thick but I should be able to do it in two goes.

That threaded rod cramping idea is great, Chris, and a lot cheaper (and probably more effective) than buying 30 cramps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Chris,
what glue will you use?

I used Extramite on 3 of my chair back rests and apart form guessing how much was required ( I wasted and awful lot) I found it easy to mix and spread although I also needed a new glue brush after each application.
On the last one I used Titebond Original, which I found messy to apply with much more squeeze out to clear up, and the result, in terms of springback, was no different to the other 3.

Andy

Chris,

I used cascamite (extramite) on a similar but smaller project and a mate used it on smiliar sized table legs and it worked well. Good gluelines and little springback.

When it comes to clamping up I would use either a sacrificial piece of veneer (or some hardboard) on the outside of the stack of laminations to avoid (or at least minimise) the risk of local depressions/bumps under each clamp. Particularly if you are glueing up in stages because dips would spoil the glueline on the additional laminations.

Cheers

Grahame

Looks good Chris

How are you planning on joining the legs to the cross frame? I imagine that that will be the point of much aggro - maybe some form of temporary collar around the closest points of approach of each leg will help?

Re the former clamps - would it not be much less bothersome to use shorter rods - lots of nut spinning time there!

Cheers

Tim

Andy, Grahame,
I am thinking of trying Extramite - I used it once and had a failure so I am a bit nervous about it but Andy's recent experience and similar exerience of others has persuaded me to have another go,

I shall make a thin caul of a few laminations (sufficiently flexible to accommodate itsulf to two curvatures since I expect to make the leg up in two goes) I think this will avert the indentation problem Grahame.

Tim,
I reckon to use a mortise and tenon - with a tenon on top of the legs as in this picture. I'll have enough room for a couple of dowels too where the "ramp" of the tenon meets the cross piece

I may shorten the rods if experience shows I can do so but I'd rather err on the long side first. I spin them with my impact driver and they actually close up pretty fast as they are.

Leg_cutaway.sized.jpg

Back