Another dust extraction question!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, I know. Yet another question about DX but it really isn't that simple is it?

Although just a hobbyist I really need to upgrade to something beyond a wet and dry vac and actually spend some money because the layers of dust that are on everything in the shop have likely also made it into my lungs :shock: .

The dx will be used for my table saw, bandsaw, PT (but I have a chip collector I could use exclusively for that) and power tools such as router and sanders.

I have narrowed it down to three:
1) Record Power dx4000
2) Axminster/Numatic NVD750
3) CamVac GV336

They are all in a similar price range, all suit 100 mm hose for which I could get an adaptor for when I use power tools.

I assume they are all a bit noisy but are there any real Pros and Cons for each of them?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

H.

Hi Halo,
I use the Numatic 750 for my tablesaw and bandsaw. It copes very well and with it's induction motor it isn't too noisy.
Cheers,
John

Thanks John.

I've been looking into this a bit more. Why do they have the two ports? I would never be bothered to switch between the 100 and 50 mm port and changing bags etc. I assume it is possible to just have it premanently set up with the cut bag and 100 mm port and then just tip out the fine sawdust and chips when you need to empty it. Or does the full bag system on the 50 mm port mean you get better filtration?

Halo,

You are correct - you don't have to collect the dust in a bag as long as you drape a half bag over the top of the bin as your primary filter. I have found the half bag filter needs cleaning each time I've emptied the bin. The 2 inlets are the same diameter - 50mm. I use both ports permanently connected to the two machines. The ducting supplied with the extractor runs directly into the bandsaw and I run a 100mm hose with a reducer to the tablesaw.

I don't think the NV750 is so suitable for a P/T due to the large volume of chips that are generated. For this I use an Axi LP/HV Hobby machine which works well. I do this work in the garage due to the lack of space in my shed.

Hope this helps,

John

Mickfb":2j0kfoe1 said:
I just got the CamVac GV336 4" with twin motors. I like it because you can just use a single motor or 2 for those bigger jobs.

How do you find that for chippings? I was looking at one and was told it was not good for them.

I have just planed up a piece of sw into 4 lengths of 2000x44x28. Ripped them out on the bandsaw then onto the overhand planer finally through the thicknesser. It filled up to 3/4 full, just emptied it into a bin bag. Yes a chip extractor is best for planers but it's all about compromise, only room for one of the other. So getting rid of fine dust is more important to me than having to keep emptying the CamVac.

Back