Another day or two and it'll all be over...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never followed football. No massive 'anti' feeling - just played rugby, despite being at a State comprehensive. We didn't have a TV as kids, so kinda missed the football obsession boat. Man am I glad I did!!

I'm not anti football per se - clearly loads of skill and great run around for millions of people worldwide, but the cheating, diving, whining, ref-baiting tw"ts you see on the box - when will the clean, upstanding Mr Blatter sort it?!?

beech1948":2bkuxsr0 said:
Now I just laugh at them all. England and the world cup seem to be merely the boasting of children.l

It is worse than that.

Under sufferance I watched the Brazil-Colombia match, which I think was the one before Germany had Brazil for breakfast. I hadn't seen football for a while up until that.

I was amazed about the faking of injuries and the real cheating that went on. One Brazilian player had his spine fractured by the knee of a Colombian. I think it was deliberate, although he may not have intended to do as much damage as he actually did. Nothing happened about it. Brazil's behaviour was no better, incidentally.

I was watching* with my better half. Before becoming a GP she did her rite of passage in A+E, so she knows a bit about sports injuries. She doesn't usually, but that time she got very angry about the obvious poor running of the game: apparently there were four referees/officials, yet FIFA still doesn't allow any of them to watch replays, slo-mo or otherwise).

How are parents, who want their kids to grow up to be honest and good sportsmen, supposed to respond if they're sitting with them watching that sort of thing?

I was genuinely revolted.

E.

*being told I couldn't watch anything else...

The fouling, shirt pulling and diving annoy me, but it's the perpetual dissent that gets me. I can imagine it in rugby (not that rugby's perfect) Foul! no it wasn't - back 10 - finger in the ref's face - back 10 - I'm just sayin' - back 10 - oh, ffs - back 10... :lol:
Ok, that's an exaggeration, but try putting a finger anywhere near a ref in rugby.

I am also with you Phil, I hate football with a passion! I was under the impression sky had all the rights to show it now but it seems not. :cry: Mind you for the amount of fresh TV we get they will probably repeat it next week all over again like they do all the other programmes. :roll: Give me a good documentary any day. :wink:

You can add me to the list of football-hater's. My first job on BBC TelOB's had me usually driving up the M1 on a Friday afternoon to rig in some God-awful football ground to cover the next day's Match of the Day.

The reason why we are so cra p at international competitions is, so I'm told, two-fold. First, is the prima-donna attitude of most of the players...the second, that their clubs tell them not to tackle too hard lest they have an injury that forces them off the field for the rest of the season.

People bang on about the salaries of company directors etc but no-one seems to worry about the obscene wages paid to footballers.

Yes, but I don't buy season tickets for stupid money or pay £100 a pop for replica shirts. I don't object to the Burberry boss's £10m a year because I've no intention of paying stupid money for a Burberry coat. I do object to my County Council paying someone £200,000 p.a. to be generally incompetent, as I have little say in it. We can avoid the first two if we wish, but the third is replicated through govt. and the public sector. :)
Rant over for this morning. :)

Back