annoying ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark aspin":3sd5juwj said:
Benchwayze":3sd5juwj said:
PS. I just noticed that someone mentioned sniping by putting in a silly bid. I thought that was the way to win snipes. If you bid say £50.00 for a plane worth £20.00 and the next highest bid is £22.00 you would win the auction. But you wouldn't have to pay the amount you bid. You only pay a pound over the under-bidder. That's where eBay differs from live auctions.
John :)
I'd be careful about doing that though John - what if the current highest bidder had set their maximum bid at £45, for example? You would then have to pay £46/£47 for the plane.

Mark 8)

That's exactly what happened to my item I mentioned in my previous post. Two snipers each put on silly bids which shot the bidding up in the last few seconds to an excessive level. Not that I'm complaining :)

Here's the Record 5-1/2 I got for £49.00 (Postage was a bit high, which is why I think I was the only bidder) I didn't need to snipe, but I did so because I knew I couldn't be at the PC at the end of bidding. So I sniped at £35.00 which was about £4.00 above the starting bid. I didn't expect to win TBH, but there you go.

This might still seem expensive, but the plane is clearly unused since new. I can't date it exactly, as I don't know enough about the little differences in design. However, the condition speaks for itself and I know I couldn't buy any better new, at the price. It needs a little fettling, like any new plane (Yes, even a Lie Nielsen or Clifton) Ask David Savage if you don't agree.) :D But once that's done, I think for my £49.00 I got me a nice plane that will see me out.

John

Attachments

• IMGP0549a.jpg
    IMGP0549a.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP0550a.jpg
    IMGP0550a.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP0551a.jpg
    IMGP0551a.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP0553a.jpg
    IMGP0553a.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP0554a.jpg
    IMGP0554a.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 494
  • IMGP0551a.jpg
    IMGP0551a.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 494
Thanks Roger.
Places the plane between 1960 to 80... !

After my first plane in 1956 then. Just on the turn of quality, but the overall state is good, and I think it will be a good 'un.

John

Couple of things that annoys me when selling on eBay are those who ask if you have a Buy It Now price....Doh! Like, if I wanted to put a BiN price, I'd have put it on the listing. And those who offer the asking price and expect you to take it off the auction :shock:

Latest posts

Back