Angled/compound Dovetails - Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Help please! I want to make angled dovetails but can't get my head around the compound angle calculations. I've watched methods for the underlying butt joint using a table saw on YouTube but they're fixes rather than explanations. Can anyone steer me to some guidance please.
Simon

I had a go a few years ago to produce a sloping footstool.
I did it right angled as normal, then on assembly noticed my mistake.

I was able to save the tail piece and then re cut the pins at the correct angle that wasn't 90 deg.

In hindsight would it be worth trying on a piece of scrap first?

Dave

Dovetaildave":39w81m8q said:
In hindsight would it be worth trying on a piece of scrap first?

Dave
Definitely! Practice practice!!
I seem to recall a clear explanation in Joyce. I've done it once as a practice and it's easier than it looks once you have the method. I wanted to make those splay sided trays which you see in France but so far have got no further.

I've watched the video once and although he seems to end up with nice joints I can't help thinking he brushes over several important points - specifically that you need to bevel the ends of the boards (in their thickness) and that therefore the cuts down the length of the pins need to go further on the inside than the outside.

The classic diagram to draw out the bevels is there in Joyce but the text is a bit terse.

In my opinion, the best description on how to cut almost any sort of joint is Charles Hadfield's "Woodwork Joints" book in the series of Woodworker handbooks. He gives you six pages on bevelled dovetails, including practical points such as how to economically cut your stock and how to modify a shooting board to plane the ends accurately.

It's still a fairly easy book to find second-hand though some vendors have noticed the good comments it has had from US woodwork writers such as Chris Schwarz and adjusted their prices accordingly.

That said, cutting bevelled dovetails for real is something I've still not got round to, so I'd be interested in following anyone's real life experience of trying.

AndyT":s6pod0rm said:
In my opinion, the best description on how to cut almost any sort of joint is Charles Hadfield's ...

Is that a catastrophic typo for "Charles Hayward" ?!

I know nit-picking on typing and spelling in a forum is considered bad form and all that...

BugBear

bugbear":1vqht0tp said:
AndyT":1vqht0tp said:
In my opinion, the best description on how to cut almost any sort of joint is Charles Hadfield's ...

Is that a catastrophic typo for "Charles Hayward" ?!

I know nit-picking on typing and spelling in a forum is considered bad form and all that...

BugBear

I assumed so but it is still widely available, I too was shocked at the inflated price on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodwork-Joints ... 0237447657

Oops! Thanks for the correction. I did mean Hayward. (Charles Hadfield's books are also worth having. )

Thanks to everyone for the guidance. Yes, its splay sided trays that I want to do as well.
I have a copy of C H Hayward's Woodwork Joints which I had failed to consult. Am now trying to work my way through his description, especially fig.57 on page 104. I hope that if I can get my head round that diagram then it will all fall into place.
Fingers crossed and thanks again to everyone.
Simon

I did these for a tray I made last year
IMG_1138.JPG

They were fiddly - but I used the irritating US video mentioned earlier Chad Stanton and that method worked well for me
Also I cut the tails first then the pins which was a recommendation I found from somewhere
It was far easier than I was imagining though
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,187
Back