Angle setting jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're silly prices. I have the old Axminster one (very similar to the Veritas, but natural colour anodising). It additionally has a sliding tool holder (what the groove is actually for), and an in-out sliding track that you mount it with, which is handy

The only issue is that they are aluminium, and carborundum grit and steel particles dig in and stop any sliding! That may be why the Veritas version doesn't seem to have the tool carrier, nor a sliding track to mount it.

I'm sure I didn't pay 40 quid, either. (update: The Veritas one does have the tool carrier, but it's sold separately -- 60 quid for the set!)
Mine gets a lot of use for freehand shaping, etc, but it probably wouldn't survive long if I was a turner.

It must be reasonably easy to make with some steel web off-cuts (angle iron). I nearly made one myself, but the Axy one was on offer, so it wasn't worth the effort. $95 for that American one is just taking the you-know-what.

Thank you all for the reply's, I went for the Veritas as it seems solid, the reason I wanted one like the American guy sells is you just put a pin in a hole to set the angle, which is very fast if you are changing angles all the time

There are drawbacks to his system: the pin only does tool-rest tilt, NOT the actual ground angle

The point that the tool's edge hits the grinding wheel will change, and that alters the angle.

And to put it another way, the projection of the tip of the tool, beyond the grinding support, also affects the angle ground (as does the diameter of the wheel).

Best thing is to spend half an hour (in front of the telly - where I usually work this stuff out!) with pencil and paper, drawing diagrams, so you can see what affects what.

If the exact angle matters in practice, you probably need to make an angle protractor, so you can sight it with the tool bearing on the (stationary) wheel and adjust accordingly.

The Tormek-style angle guides (widely copied) that rest a flat on the tool, and a round bit on the wheel do work really well, but probably only work for wheel diameters larger than that on your fast grinder. You might calculate and make your own, but it's a bit of a faff and accuracy would be hard to achieve. I mean these things:
81v-FP3SyZL._SL1500_.jpg

GetImage.ashx

I've got one like the black one, but note that they don't adjust down to small grinding wheel diameters. I suppose you could shave a bit off the white quadrant and guesstimate it...

Eric The Viking":3giwkmkt said:
That looks like a lot less fuss, Chas, and probably just as good as the plastic thingy!
Well it's done me for the last 10 yrs. whenever angles seem to be drifting too far away from 'the norm'
It's like the simple wooden tool rest, does the job and leaves more pocket money for the important bits with cutting edges on them, obviously over the years and the odd chance acquisition, pocket money boost etc. other little additions arrive that can more readily meet a specific need but none are 'essential'.

Back