Andrew Crawford Jewellery Box WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I had the box making course with Andrew over the weekend and I showed him this box; and he didn't point and laugh ;)

He gave me a load of great advise, like sand down the veneer and put several coats of sealer on the sides before even starting the banding as that will protect the veneer. I was going to get all of the banding done before even touching a piece of sand paper so as to not thin the veneer too much.

F, I think this job is coming along well. It's a pretty ambitious one and I reckon you've made a fair stab at it...nice one :wink:
It's also good that you're 'pushing the envelope out of the comfort zone' :roll: (I hate expressions like that :x ) 'cos it's only by doing something like this that we can build on experiences. Any project with a curve(s) in it automatically becomes a lot harder but at the same time, generally more interesting - Rob

woodbloke":2zjs9264 said:
F, I think this job is coming along well. It's a pretty ambitious one and I reckon you've made a fair stab at it...nice one :wink:

There are a number of mistakes with this one, and I think it is going to end up being a trial piece so that I can practice the mistakes are all stages on a single piece. Then do the next one properly ;)

It's also good that you're 'pushing the envelope out of the comfort zone' :roll: (I hate expressions like that :x ) 'cos it's only by doing something like this that we can build on experiences.

Be carefull, the next thing you know you will be leveraging synergies, then it is all down hill to upskilling your core competencies to improve productionalisationalism across the real estate :twisted: Then all you are good for is a straight jacket or middle management :twisted:

Any project with a curve(s) in it automatically becomes a lot harder but at the same time, generally more interesting - Rob

Ironically the curves are the bit that has gone the best. The veneering was a bit hit and miss on the lipping on the sides I needed to put a lot more pressure on it (and a lot less glue), as it has bubbled up a bit. I have also burnt through the veneer a little on one end of the lid whilst sanding it smooth.

frugal":1vzliggh said:
Be carefull, the next thing you know you will be leveraging synergies, then it is all down hill to upskilling your core competencies to improve productionalisationalism across the real estate :twisted: Then all you are good for is a straight jacket or middle management :twisted:
...or retirement :lol:

Seriously, no piece of work is ever 100% perfect. I was looking at RI's boxes at rycotewood and up close, there were some...not many to be fair and very hard to criticize the quality of his workmanship (design is another matter :evil: ) but there were a couple. It's not the mistakes you make in a project 'cos that's a given that I or you will make them, but recognizing that there are errors there and adopting strategies to get round them....
...and not repeating the same error(s) in the next job :oops: - Rob

woodbloke":1hbo74c4 said:
Seriously, no piece of work is ever 100% perfect. I was looking at RI's boxes at rycotewood and up close, there were some...not many to be fair and very hard to criticize the quality of his workmanship (design is another matter :evil: ) but there were a couple. It's not the mistakes you make in a project 'cos that's a given that I or you will make them, but recognizing that there are errors there and adopting strategies to get round them....
...and not repeating the same error(s) in the next job :oops: - Rob

It was quite interesting working with Andrew over the weekend, his level of precision is remarkable. A joint not closing up fully and having a gap of about 0.2mm was not good enough and he worked on it overnight to fix it for me (the clamping jig had a small problem). Inlay has to fit perfectly, the corner mitres for the inlay meet with zero tolerances. The great thing was that with a couple of simple techniques we got it to fit that well.

Latest posts

Back