and more from the school of one handed turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctb

Established Member
Reaction score
Here with 3 pieces I turned yesterday, the first a square bowl in Sassafras as previously posted under "here is how to "

sqbowl3.jpg

this is a Red Malle bowl, based on a Roman bowl, (now what did the romans ever do for us ? )

red2.jpg

red1.jpg

and finally a Red Mallee burr platter

red3.jpg

Comments / Criticism welcomed

Chris

Err - the aquaduct?
Sanitation?
Roads?
:lol:

Lovely stuff,Chris - the red malle bowl is my favourite,not only as it is an excellent piece,but also because I like the shape of ancient pottery.

Did you buy in bulk with the red malle,or do you have a local supplier ?

Andrew

Many thanks Andrew
Ufortunately that is the last peice of red mallee that I have, got a few bits of brown mallee burr left, but I tend to turn burrs when my inspiration dries up, they have the tendancy to put me back in touch with the wood if you know what I mean.

Love the clean lines Chris, your Burl examples are giving me some ideas on how to tackle the piece I have awaiting its turn on the lathe.

Hope I'm not being too personal here Chris, but I think the care with which you must have to approach tool control is showing in the control of form and finish, excellent work by anybodys standard.

CHJ":2fcj5qfp said:
Hope I'm not being too personal here Chris, but I think the care with which you must have to approach tool control is showing in the control of form and finish, excellent work by anybodys standard.

Chas, I have no problem with people asking personal questions, but I don't understand your question, as I tend to throw the tools about with gay abandon, (is that a pc statement, not that I am bothered about being pc)

But thank you for the compliment, and I cannot wait to view your burr once it's turned

Chris

first off chris, absolutely top notch work there, all your work is fantastic, an inspiration to all of us i think, where on earth did you get the red malle though as my nearest woodturning shop is over an hours drive from me an they aint got none, did you buy online? or out of a mag or what? the reason i ask is my 11 yr old daughter has asked me to do her a "pink" bowl and the red malle is the closest thing ive seen to a pinkish colour without some sort of staining, and i dont stain wood, i like to see the real colours but thats just me, any chance you could share your source? or point me in the right direction? cheers,

dave (w y b i )

Dave, I am afraid my source of Australian burrs has gone out of business, I do know that Craft Supplies in Derbyshire took a whole load off him at the end, but not sure about the red mallee though, it was in fairly short supply, and incidently the red turns black when exposed to the sun light for a period of time, needs be sealed with Armourall car dash board polish that has UV proctectors in it.
And another thing, it's not very pink, looks like its bleeding when you turn it.

How about as an alternative trying to source Wellingtonia,

or just spotted in the Craft Supplies catalogue Pink Ivory
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... 0ivory.htm

Chris

Please find link for red marllee http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/shop/sh ... fm?pid=318
I have nothing to do with the company just seen ctb's work and did a google search for the stuff,
I've turned Pink Ivory lovely stuff to work with but can be very dear,
I've also have turned pencil cedar which can be very pink but tends to loose its colour, but maybe using ctb's suggestion for UV protection may help

Latest posts

Back