Anant 52 Plough Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admiral

Established Member
Reaction score
With all the chatter about Lee Valley's new small plough plane, I wonder if anyone has any real experience with the Anant 52. In the US the Anant sells for about $100 less than the LV, and if only a little bit of fettling is involved to make it servicable, I might want to check it out before sending in a LV order.

RN

I too would love to know.

Having seen some of the stuff form Anant, I'm concerned. Especially the wooden parts.

But this one doesn't seem to have any...

CWR

Admiral":2g9ehil2 said:
With all the chatter about Lee Valley's new small plough plane, I wonder if anyone has any real experience with the Anant 52. In the US the Anant sells for about $100 less than the LV, and if only a little bit of fettling is involved to make it servicable, I might want to check it out before sending in a LV order.

RN

A good quality Stanley #50 often goes for less than that on the 'bay.

BugBear

Bug, that's a good point. I've looked in the past but the examples I found were from the US and were generally in poor condition and uniformly were missing cutters, and for the later production the cutters have grooves for the adjustment lever and would be difficult to find; the better examples (in quality and completeness) were generally listed by UK sellers for UK made examples (the folks on this side of the pond always want "US-Made", don't ask me why), and the shipping just kills the deal for me. But I'll take another look. Thanks.rn

Admiral":18ys9iky said:
Bug, that's a good point. I've looked in the past but the examples I found were from the US and were generally in poor condition and uniformly were missing cutters, and for the later production the cutters have grooves for the adjustment lever and would be difficult to find; the better examples (in quality and completeness) were generally listed by UK sellers for UK made examples (the folks on this side of the pond always want "US-Made", don't ask me why), and the shipping just kills the deal for me. But I'll take another look. Thanks.rn

Surface shipping for a UK #50 shouldn't be too bad.

BugBear

Back