An Apple a Day..........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Managed to get a bit of time in the workshop over the weekend and after finishing a job for a friend a work and fitting a new fluorescent light above the lathe I thought I'd see what I could make out of a piece of Apple I've had laying around for a while. The bowl is approximately 6 1\2" x 3 1\4" and is finished with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil and once that had dried was buffed with the Chestnut polishing system. I was pleasently surprised by the spalting which wasnt obvious at the start and for once am happy with the final shape. I was going to save this for the challenge but after a democratic vote in the house I'm going to stick to my original piece which was finished a week or so ago.

C&C welcome as always.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCN0103.JPG
    DSCN0103.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 865
  • DSCN0102.JPG
    DSCN0102.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 865
Are you sure that it's apple? I've only turned it once and it looked nothing like that. I just had a look in a couple of books I have and they also show it as being different.
The grain appears more like beech to me.

Whatever wood it is it's a nice looking bowl

duncanh, I think you might be right regarding this being beech, the blank was labeled as apple but looking at the grain (and my books) it may have been incorrectly marked.

Thanks everyone for your comments and I take your point Blister about the rings, on some pieces it works but maybe a bit of overkill on this one.

Steve

Back