An alternative to Sketchup.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sketchup seems to be getting popular around here especially with Dave's excellent tips and tutorials. Before splashing out the quite large sum for Sketchup I would suggest trying Alibre Xpress which is available for free. Below is a small demo showing the modelling and modification of a simple flat panel door or drawer front similar to one shown by Dave recently.

First a rectangle is drawn on any workplane and dimensioned.
large.jpg

This is then extruded to the thickness you want (18mm here) resulting in a solid.
large.jpg

A rectangle is then drawn on the front face and the width of the rails and stiles dimensioned.
large.jpg

An "extrude cut" is made with this rectangle to make a panel recessed 6mm into the face completing the model.
large.jpg

The beauty of CAD is when you decide to change the dimensions or want to make several doors in different sizes. For example if I want to change the size to 1200 x 400 I just select the original sketch and edit it.
large.jpg

Update the model and you get this.
large.jpg

Perhaps that bottom rail could be a bit thicker so just edit the second sketch to make it 125mm instead of 50mm.
large.jpg

Update the model and job done.
large.jpg

Open a drawing select this part and choose what views you want, add a few dimensions (which are linked to the model so automatically change with changes to the model).
large.jpg

I haven't used Sketchup so don't how easy this would be using it but for free I think Alibre is worth trying.

No connections etc.

Hope this was of interest.

John

Interesting. And for free, too!

Does it do perspective views or only isometric ones?

FWIW, editing a door in SU is as simple and you don't need to draw the dimensions until you're ready for them.

Thanks for the compliments, too. ;)

Dave, Perspective, I dont know but will have a play and find out. The views shown were just the model rotated on the screen and dumped into a jpeg.

There is no need to dimension anything in Alibre until you want to either, I just find it easier to add them early.

John

Alibre is a very powerful system - a real parametric solids modeller. A year or so ago, there was a big launch of the freebie version and a few folk here tried it, myself included. The free version is inevitably less capable than the full blown thing but very capable nonetheless. It's interface is rather similar to Solidworks which is thousands of dollars per annum/seat and obviously does a lot more, however Alibre would do all most woodworkers could dream of. However, as has been said before of other CAD programs and Sketchup, they are two different animals.

The manufacturers of Solidworks and Pro Engineer have supplied cutdown versions as free handouts to Tech Schools, if you know someone at one of these schools you could get one or a copy...........not that I said that

Bean

Back